anyone using the Manfrotto 561 BHDV monopod? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 16th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: anyone using the Manfrotto 561 BHDV monopod?

I'm going to be a dissenting voice here.

For a long time I've used the Gitzo GM5561T Mountaineer monopod. Its far more expensive than the manfrotto and does not come with a head, but its very light, very chunky so easy to hold, and collapses very short so is easy to carry even on your belt. You can use it totally collapsed and steadied against your waist with good results.

Gitzo GM5561T Mountaineer Monopod - Carbon Fibre

I've been using it with a Manfrotto 701HDV video head. The head is great for what it is.

Manfrotto 701HDV Pro Fluid Mini Head - Fluid

Previously I'd used a smaller head, the manfrotto 234RC, but switched to the 701 in order to be able to use the same quick release plates on all my gear.

Manfrotto 234RC QR Monopod Tilt Head - Tilt Tops Accessories

However, who uses the head to pan and tilt rather than just rotating the monopod itself? Its no more stable to use a head on a monopod.

I'm sure many videographers don't realise that you can get an adapter that fixes direct to the monopod and allows you to use the normal standard 501Pl plate which many of us use as standard on all our gear. Its the Manfrotto 577:

Manfrotto 577 Sliding Plate Adaptor - Quick Releases Plates

Just screw that onto your monopod and you're good to go :-)

The Manfrotto video monopods have small retractable feet ..... but so what. They are not substantial enough to risk leaving a cam atop unattended. You might just as well use a normal monopod and for situations where you want a quick and stable platform without the bulk of a tripod just put a 701HDV on top of a normal lightstand. Lightstands also give you a LOT more height than tripods :-)

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #17
Major Player

Thanks,

That's what I figured cause when i opened it up i knew that wasn't right....may give this one another shot.
Old July 18th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #18
Major Player

Welp this has been a great thread!! I've ordered this monopod today - it'll be here Wed and I have a shoot Friday.

Question: Anyone attaching a small 7" monitor to this monopod is some fashion.....i'm gonna try it but wondered how anyone else's mileage varied doing this.....
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Only comment I'd make over that lovely light Gitzo monopod is the Manfrotto has the 3 feet. You can actually support the camera with a small light lens on it (not unattended). But it allows you to try out an HDR or long exposure. Even like this there will be some lateral movement (wind, mirror, lock-up, etc) but the 'align images' setting in most editing software will fix this.

However faced with lugging my 3.5kg tripod up a Scottish Mountain - I prefer the monopod anyday.
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #20
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Simpson View Post
Question: Anyone attaching a small 7" monitor to this monopod is some fashion.....i'm gonna try it but wondered how anyone else's mileage varied doing this.....
I use a Manfrotto Superclamp with an IKAN Israeli arm to attach my 7" monitor to the monopod.

These 561B HDV-1 monopods have been getting really popular. We can hardly keep them in stock. Stillmotion just produced a video worth watching
Old July 26th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #21
Major Player

very nice video indeed

still...I am not convinced people should be invited to try the "static" method, of leaving the camera unattended on the monopod...

a small hint of wind and.....BLAAAAAM

Last edited by Federico Perale; July 27th, 2011 at 09:21 AM.
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #22
Major Player

Ordered the Cinevate Simplis and articulating arm - after the shoot friday i decided i def needed the monitor for focus accuracy!
Old July 27th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #23
Major Player

I have both a photo monopod and a 561 BHDV. The normal photo monopods are not great with video. They stutter when you do a pan.

My solution to using a monitor on the monopod is to use a long adapter plate. The camera screws in the front of the adapter plate, and its long enough for a dp6 to screw in the back part of the adapter plate. I've tried putting the dp6 on the hot shoe, but it creates wobble. It basically places the monitor behind the lcd and gives you enough room to make changes with the buttons.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD