EX1 to 5D Convert? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 30th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 to 5D Convert?

After much anticipation I finally got to shoot my first wedding using the Canon 5d Mk 2.
Now Im sure this has been posted numerous times before, but this is my own take on how the proceedings went. This was a fusion shoot, being that I was still using my EX1 & the 5D together, so..

Main Equipment used:
Sony EX1 - Primary Camera
Canon 5D - Secondary Cam / Arty shots (50mm, 1.4 Lens)
Zoom H4N - Audio Capture
Miller DS10 tripod, Manfrotto Monopod w’ fluid head, Glidecam HD 4000.

My production plan for the day was as follows:

Both Preparations (B & G) were shot entirely on the 5D using a Manfrotto Monopod & Glidecam HD 4000. If only my DP Slider came in time, I’ll bet I get it on Monday.. I usually go for close steady shots using my tripod but this time I went for the monopod & glidecam. No Camera stabiliser, learning curve right here. The big difference was how accurate you need to be in order to obtain the best shots, shallow DOF requires so much more attention, but the shots, Amazing!

Ceremony was shot using the EX1 on the tripod as the main camera and the 5D for the eye candy shots on the Monopod and a H4 Zoom captured the direct feed from the priest.
As I’m filming my thoughts quickly went from the EX1 being the primary camera to the 5D being the primary, this was never going to be the case, if only I had a tripod for the 5D there was just too much movement on the mono so I had to stick to plan.

Location was 5D all the way again Monopod & Glidecam, no consideration was given to carting the EX1 through George St Sydney. I missed the eye piece though, very hard to see how well exposed the shot was in strong sunlight, I had overexposed some but not all shots at one location with very strong sunlight, add that to the shopping list.

Reception 5D & EX1
Set-ups on 5D, EX1 for speeches, dancing & entertainment 5D. During a recent workshop at Exposed Down Under www.exposeddownunder.com.au the main selling point for me apart from the cinematic look of the 5D was the fact that people don’t know you are shooting video, so they in-effect, like the camera. A bulky camera is intimidating most guests during the reception turn their backs on you whenever you come close. But in low light its either that or 18db gain which I never use. The simple answer again, 5D. Get up close, low light, no worries.

My own thoughts are simply one that using the EX1 I felt I was making a video.
Using the 5D, I felt I was making a movie.

The biggest adjustment was the size, how can I rely on this tiny camera to do all that work? Keep in mind this is new territory for me and to stop using the EX1 at this point will take some adjustment and accepting of change. I like my XLR inputs, image stabilizer, easily adjustable audio in, remaining recording time, eye cup, longer recording time to name a few. Brides don’t care about those things, they just want results and to be captured beautifully. I am so impressed by the 5D those other things don’t matter as I’m sure over time I’ll learn to use it exclusively, but for now the EX1 is coming along every time.

Am I an EX1 to 5D Convert? Not completely, however I do see the benefits which I’m sure I don't need to list. Give me a few more weddings, more lenses in my kit a 2nd 5D and maybe then yes..
Old July 31st, 2011, 02:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: EX1 to 5D Convert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Edwards View Post
I missed the eye piece though, very hard to see how well exposed the shot was in strong sunlight, I had overexposed some but not all shots at one location with very strong sunlight, add that to the shopping list.
This loupe is an excellent & cheap solution GGS 3X LCD Viewfinder Loupe for Canon EOS 7D 5D Mark II | eBay
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 05:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
I missed the eye piece though, very hard to see how well exposed the shot was in strong sunlight, I had overexposed some but not all shots at one location with very strong sunlight, add that to the shopping list.
No worries, overexposed and out of focus is what these cameras are good at and what people expect. Sometimes I think that's how people define "Filmic look" nowadays. haha :-)

Seriously, as I read up on using DSLRs (especially for weddings), it seems focus and exposure are a struggle. The 5D in particular as it displays in SD and removes the histogram when recording. Admittedly, I'm a novice at the 5D but my experience handheld with a 50mm was that focus and exposure aside, it was hard to get a steady shot. This thread may be of interest if you haven't read it:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...slr-event.html

But there's no beating the low light of the 5D with an EX1. Sometimes it's the only camera that can get the shot and when you do nail the focus and exposure, the sDOF is beautiful.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I wouldn't get too hung up about the fact that the 5DII doesn't display in HD as neither does the EX1 which has a 640x480 LCD screen which is exactly the same resolution as that on the 5DII.
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:01 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The issue is figuring out focus and exposure. On the EX1, you get peaking, zebras and on screen histogram to assist in that. My point was that on the 5D, both focus and exposure have to be done by eye on just the SD display.
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Inner Circle

You also get both a brightness & RGB histogram plus zebras of a sort (highlight alert) you just cannot access them while actually filming. They work well for setting up the shot. You don't have peaking but you do have 5X & 10X zoom modes to nail focus before you start rolling. You can also hit the button to flip the mirror down & up so that an accurate & fast autofocus can be done but again this is prior to pressing the record button. Not ideal but not half as bad as some may think.
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I think we all know how the camera works. Locked down/static shots can be setup with the stuff that's there. One of the shortcomings of the 5DM2 is that they go away when you start recording. When you or your subject move, focus and exposure may need adjustments and that has to be done by eye on the SD screen. That's my point and that's the point at which you can end up with wrong exposure and focus ... even after you think you've fixed them. That's my experience anyway, YMMV
Old August 1st, 2011, 01:00 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
I think we all know how the camera works. Locked down/static shots can be setup with the stuff that's there. One of the shortcomings of the 5DM2 is that they go away when you start recording. When you or your subject move, focus and exposure may need adjustments and that has to be done by eye on the SD screen. That's my point and that's the point at which you can end up with wrong exposure and focus ... even after you think you've fixed them. That's my experience anyway, YMMV
Les, you state in an earlier post that you are a novice at the 5D & that it is from what you have read on using DSLRs (especially for weddings) that you have gained this impression that achieving correct focus and exposure are a struggle.

I am not a novice at the 5D as I have been shooting video with them for over 2.5 years so my experience is that with practice getting correct exposure & focus even on moving subjects isn't the problem that you imagine it to be. Incidentally even a cheap loupe like the one in the link that I gave in my earlier post makes an enormous difference to the ease with which you can nail focus.
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:57 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Good to know it can be accomplished with more skill. I admit, I left my z-finder in the equipment case the days I needed it the most. :-( ... A good and proper rig, which I don't have, is definitely in order to get the best out of the 5DM2.
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:07 AM   #10
Major Player

only have the 5D for 1 month but I am already loving the results...

the EX1 was a beast, and I had a love/hate relationship
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Good to know it can be accomplished with more skill. I admit, I left my z-finder in the equipment case the days I needed it the most. :-( ... A good and proper rig, which I don't have, is definitely in order to get the best out of the 5DM2.
TBH I am not that keen on overloading the 5DII with a shoulder rig & follow focus etc Much of the beauty of using one is that it is light & nimble & doesn't look like a video camera so your subjects are more relaxed. Just a loupe & a monopod or light tripod is enough for me.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:19 AM   #12
Major Player

One advice what ever you do don't sell your ex1. Do not go all dslr.

I have

2 gh1
1 gf1
2 60d
1 5dm2
Ex3
And the littlest of all the gopro hd hero

The 5d is what I used most and the 60d are fot my assistant the gh1 with 20 1.7 on tripod for security wide shot

Result perfect. I'm looking to get the ex1 for Steadicam pilot as it does auto focus dslr for Steadicam are a pain specially wedding/event

I used the meter just below and above 0 and trust your eyes for the exposesure and the x5 zoom for focus

I shoot with a 50 1.8 nikon lens on a $28 eBay shoulder brace when the vows time I switch to tripod with the 70-200

It ok for those shaky footage as you are recording moving subject. I would recommend to have at least an assistant they are very helpfully and doesnt cost that much
Thanh Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:07 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
After much anticipation I finally got to shoot my first wedding using the Canon 5d Mk 2.
Am I an EX1 to 5D Convert?
I have an EX1, as well as the Canon 5Dm2. Am I convert? No. Why? Editing. Editing 5Dm2 footage takes way longer to edit than EX1 footage. I'm editing with Edius, which accepts native 5Dm2 files directly on the timeline, but it's still slow compared to editing EX1 footage because there are literally hundreds of clips that needs to be synched up. If you're editing with FCP, it's even worse when you have to transcode all your footage first before you can even edit.

For me, the 5Dm2 footage is best for eye candy shots, but the main part of the shoot is still EX1, which can't be beat for long takes.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
The issue is figuring out focus and exposure. On the EX1, you get peaking, zebras and on screen histogram to assist in that. My point was that on the 5D, both focus and exposure have to be done by eye on just the SD display.
True, hence we have a market for products like the SmallHD line and others that offer false color capability for nailing exposure and peaking for focus. While it would be nice to have these features in-camera there are at least alternatives.

For me, it's really a matter of using the best tool for the job. Exploiting the strengths of each camera is really where it's at. The EX-1 is a great run and gun camera with a superbly sharp image. If you want deep focus with a lot of detail use the EX1/3. If you need low light or shallow DOF then the 5DMkII is the right tool. Can the 5DMkII do deep focus? Yes of course, but not as well as the EX-1. Sometimes you need a screwdriver, sometimes a hammer. Can I hammer with a screwdriver? Yes, but not very well.....
Steve Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD