digital gain on Canon DSLRs, Analog gain with magic lantern at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 1st, 2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Major Player

digital gain on Canon DSLRs, Analog gain with magic lantern

There's been some speculation in this thread

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...uicedlink.html

that the Canon DSLR native firmware only allows one to adjust the audio digital gain up or down, and that the analog gain on Canon DSLRs is fixed at its chip's max value of +31dB. This means that Magic Lantern would give the lowest noise signal because it exposes the ability to turn down the chip's analog gain to a level that isn't so noisy (the ML manual says around +20db is where the chip gets noisy, so Jon from this forum recommends +10 or +17db analog gains only).

If anyone has test results or references that prove or disprove the analog gain being fixed with the Canon firmware, please let me know and/or post. If this is true, then a followup question is why does anyone bother adding digital gain (with Canon firmware gain setting or ML digital gain setting) as long as they have the ability to adjust gain in post production? Both digital gain and post/NLE gain are the same in their effect on noise except that NLE gain clipping is reversible by reverting to the original recording file.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: digital gain on Canon DSLRs, Analog gain with magic lantern

That has been my experience with my tests. I've tried all the different AGC approaches and really like the VMP.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD