Shooting for PAL television in NTSC land at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 4th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Shooting for PAL television in NTSC land

I am in an NTSC country using the 5D for shooting programs for SD television to be broadcast in a PAL land.
If I set the camera in PAL 25 fps and shoot under electrical 60Hz lights, there is a flicker in the picture in every normal shutter speed.
If I set it in 30fps, there is no flicker, but this requires to set the camera in NTSC mode.
Is it a bad recommendation to shoot in NTSC 30fps for PAL television?
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Shooting for PAL television in NTSC land

Set the shutter speed to 1/60 (recommended) or 1/120 (if you want more judder), and the flicker should be eliminated.
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: Shooting for PAL television in NTSC land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Skargren View Post
I am in an NTSC country using the 5D for shooting programs for SD television to be broadcast in a PAL land.
If I set the camera in PAL 25 fps and shoot under electrical 60Hz lights, there is a flicker in the picture in every normal shutter speed.
If I set it in 30fps, there is no flicker, but this requires to set the camera in NTSC mode.
Is it a bad recommendation to shoot in NTSC 30fps for PAL television?
Here in the UK most TV sets and DVD players have no problem playing NTSC format DVDs. The same is not true for playing PAL content in North America.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD