5D Mk II HDMI Video Out to Video Recorders? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 15th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #1
Tourist

5D Mk II HDMI Video Out to Video Recorders?

Hi,

Am thinking about a 5D Mk II for studio as well as field use.

In the Studio would like to either:
1. both record video to the compact flash card and output video to another recording device (hard drive or DVD Recorder).

2. only output video to another recording device.

Is this possible?

Did some checking and found

HDMI video output for live preview or playing clips and images on an external monitor via Type C MiniHDMI port. Canon EOS 5D Mark II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Checked again and found a 2008 posting "Why don't video recorders have HDMI inputs?--Ask the Editors...there are no recorders with an HDMI input." Why don't video recorders have HDMI inputs?--Ask the Editors | Crave - CNET

Hope that there may either be some new recorders with HDMI video in or work arounds.

Am interested in any suggestions!

Thanks

Ken
Kenith Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 5D Mk II HDMI Video Out to Video Recorders?

Kenith. Welcome to DVinfo. Check out the search. Here's one of many threads that discuss the HDMI output of Canon's HDSLRs... in particular the 5D mk II.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ml#post1665194
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Inner Circle

In a word, no.
Old November 15th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #4
Tourist

Hi Les & Chris,

Thanks for your replies!

Am not surprised that there was a relevant forum post(s). Just did not find them.

Guess I wait.

Ken
Kenith Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #5
Inner Circle

One option is to not record in-camera, and to move the zoom box to a far corner. You can record 2.35:1 like that. I've heard that you can get rid of the box by enabling face detection, but I've never tried it.

The output is still scaled by dropping pixels though, so it's even uglier than the line skipping that we are already stuck with. But it's uncompressed. I guess it could be an advantage in shots with little detail, but with subtle colors and tones.

It's too many hoops for too little benefit for me to have ever tried in the real world. I just did some initial tests for kicks.
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

in a word YES. load the AJ version of Magic Lantern and turn off screen info and you have a clean screen output for recording. I know, because I have done it to a NINJA. but don't try to record in camera at the same time - pointless

jh
John Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #7
Inner Circle

John Harvey:

I was following AJ pretty close for a long time. My understanding is that even the clean output on AJ Magic Lantern was not 1920 x 1080. Can you confirm that it is ?
Old November 19th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Chris,

If the AJ version removes the overlay but doesn't change the scaling, the video is in a 1620x911 window. It shows the whole 3:2, sensor on the screen in letter box. Then it grays out the top and bottom 85 or so lines to show double-boxed 16x9.

I believe that this is achieved with additional line and pixel skipping, so the aliasing is even worse than normal 5D2 video. Still, a capture of 1620x911 isn't bad. There's more to life than resolution - ask any makeup professional!

Anybody planning to capture HDMI should immediately get the snap on anti aliasing filter from Mosaic Engineering. VAF-5D2 Optical Anti-Aliasing Filter. It will still be 8-bits, but with optical anti-aliasing and improved compression, the results should be as good as you can expect for the price.
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:21 PM   #9
Major Player

There was a beta AJ build that sent full 1080 out through the HDMI (ala, the 7d). It was buggy and I don't know what progress they've had in the last month.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #10
Inner Circle

This is just follow up check on the status of this feature potential. Has anything changed in terms of HDMI out for the 5D II, whether with Canon firmware or with Magic Lantern. I was working with Magic Lantern in the recent Raw Magic Lantern, and I was able to clear screen completely. The initial remaining image was still more like 4:3 with a box, although it looked halfway decent. I then inadvertently pressed the Info button and the image enlarged, but still with posts on eitherside, which I assume is just and enlargement of the small frame. Has any attempted record this to a Shuttle or other HDMI recorder recently ?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD