Suggestions for a macro lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 18th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Wrangler

Suggestions for a macro lens?

Hey guys
I need a suggestion for a macro lens (either FF or APSc) capable of getting a full frame shot of a human eye (or at least 75%). Since lens blockingthe light is an issue, it'll have to be able to grab it from at least a foot or two back.

Any suggestions?
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Suggestions for a macro lens?

I've got the 100 L macro and 5DmII. Will take a look this evening when I get home to see how well a human eye fills the frame from 0.3m (I converted since I believe you Canucks fans use metric?). I'm guessing 40-50% of frame. Otherwise if even lighting rather than the actual subject distance is the main concern, maybe a ring light at closer range will work?

So now I'm wondering if this is for a DV Charity Challenge shot and if so, what you could possibly be up to. I'm sure I could never guess!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Both the 100mm f/2.8 macros and the 180mm f/3.5 macro shoot 1:1. Imagine the rectangle of your sensor (about 1.5" x 1" for FF) and overlay that over the eye. That's your maximum magnification. If that's not enough, look at the 65mm macro. It has up to five times the magnification. You'd want a ring light or some other small edge lights, since it will need to be super close.

The minimum focus distance for the 100 and 180mm lenses are about 12" and 18", respectively. This is measured from the focal plane, so subtract the length of the lens and the focal plane mark to the mount. You'll be about 6 inches from the front of a 100mm lens and about 10 inches from the front of the 180.

BTW, if you want to pull or push the camera from/to the eye, get lots of light, stop down the lens, and prepare yourself for many takes. We tried this shot a year or so ago and simply weren't able to manage it from near to far as we had planned - and our closeup wasn't all the way to the eye.
Old November 20th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Wrangler

Just 'eyeballed" it and the 100mm macro looks to cover about 4X the width of a person's eye socket from foot away.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Wrangler

Hey Pete, so you're saying the eyeball only fills 1/4 of the frame?

Jon, I'm going to look at both, thanks for the suggestion on the 65mm. I have a ring light good to go.

Oh, no it's not for my DVC film.... too busy working on my time machine.
Old November 21st, 2011, 07:51 AM   #6
Wrangler

Yes, about a quarter frame if there's about a foot of space between the front of the 100mm lens and the subject. If you can work your shot to be at minimum focusing distance -- listed as 1 foot but I think that is from the focal plane or lens mount, not the front of the lens -- you can beat the ol' inverse square law and come close to filling the frame. Looks like min focus is about 6" from the front of the lens.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD