5D "HDR video" in Magic Lantern Beta - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: 5D "HDR video" in Magic Lantern Beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Ballew View Post
So Ted,

How do you separate the video into the two clips? It seems that the HD workflow that is included slows the clips down prior to rendering the frames. I thought I could import the A and B image sequences into after effects and slow them down with twixtor only to discover that it seems they are already slowed down.

Would love to hear some thoughts on your twixtor workflow.
The seq A and B are the separated streams. C is already combined and retimed as you might have discovered by now. Theyre ready to be imported to your NLE or AE for grading and post processing.
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
I actually had better results with my particular video using pixel motion in after effects than I did in twixtor. This method also allows me to shoot at 30 fps, split the streams, and then slow them down just the right amount to form them into one 24p video clip. This at least lets you decrease the amount you slow the clip down some.
Yes, pixel motion after time stretch also works. However, changing opacities to blend the streams will not yield optimum results as compared to certain workflows/programs dedicated to handling HDR material.

Try PHOTOMATIX. use batch processing. Exoprt a seq of 16bit tiffs to grade in AE then retime it and use pixel motion.
Old January 12th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Thanks Ted.. Actually having now played around more with the provided workflow, I have to say that it is pretty good. However, I think an alternative workflow could benefit certain clips. I am still getting a handle on Twixtor and am just now learning how mattes can help keep the motion from warping.

I think you could use the HDR with somewhat faster motion in the frame, run it through twixtor and use mattes to fix any portions that have warping.

I have to say that this HDR function is amazing.

One question I do have is this: Although I know that as of now, 60P cannot be integrated into the 5D, is it possible to go any higher than 30 fps at all? Even if we were able to get up to 40 fps, it would help the motion in the HDR feature some. I know magic lantern allows for many other lower frame rates. Something just a tad higher could be beneficial as well.
Brad Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Hey guys,

So I made a short video showing what HDR can do, to show a couple of realtors in my area that I might do some videos for. Thought I would share.

This was shot on my 5D MKII with a Canon 24mm f1.4L lens. My two ISOs were 100 and 3200. I used the provided workflow to separate the frames and combine them back again.

You can see it here:
Brad Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 01:05 AM   #35

What is your work flow? I am at a stage where I have taken the HDR bracketed images in Photomatix and at a puddle what to do next.

I use P/shop CS5 and Premiere CS5.5
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:32 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Hey guys,

So I made a short video showing what HDR can do, to show a couple of realtors in my area that I might do some videos for. Thought I would share.

This was shot on my 5D MKII with a Canon 24mm f1.4L lens. My two ISOs were 100 and 3200. I used the provided workflow to separate the frames and combine them back again.

You can see it here: HDR Video on Vimeo
i actually preferred the non-hdr version as it made the home seem warmer, lighter and more inviting...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD