White balance problem 5D MKII at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 31st, 2012, 09:57 PM   #1
Major Player

White balance problem 5D MKII

For some reason many times now when I try to set my manual WB I get the message "WB may not be obtained with this image". I've always had success by just taking a pic of a white sheet of paper where my subject will be then select it as my image to use, but now I get the above message. When I use the image anyway I get a horrible greenish/blue incorrect look.

Anybody know why this seems to be happening all the sudden?

Thanks.

PS: I know about all the other ways of acheiving WB , but I'd like to know why this method is giving me trouble recently;)
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: White balance problem 5D MKII

That typically happens when the image is overexposed.
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
That typically happens when the image is overexposed.
Weird, didnt look overexposed at all. So would you suggest lowering ISO and closing aperture for my WB image then bringing them back up after WB is achieved Jon? Is the White still White even if you mess with the exposure afterwards?

Thanks for your response Jon;)
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Major Player

Enable the RGB histogram and use that to expose when you take your white balance shot - make sure none of the channels are clipping on the right. My guess is that one channel is clipping in your shot which will throw off the correction.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:01 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Danny,

Evan is right. If one of the channels clips, the image can't be used for WB. Since white is technically at the clipping point, I guess it's more accurate to say that we perform "near white" or "very bright gray" balance, rather that true white balance. :)

BTW, at a Canon seminar, they said that shooting a white card gave better results than shooting a gray card. So the key is to shoot near white but to never clip.

Best of luck!
Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn View Post
Enable the RGB histogram and use that to expose when you take your white balance shot - make sure none of the channels are clipping on the right. My guess is that one channel is clipping in your shot which will throw off the correction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Hi Danny,

Evan is right. If one of the channels clips, the image can't be used for WB. Since white is technically at the clipping point, I guess it's more accurate to say that we perform "near white" or "very bright gray" balance, rather that true white balance. :)

BTW, at a Canon seminar, they said that shooting a white card gave better results than shooting a gray card. So the key is to shoot near white but to never clip.

Best of luck!
Awesome! Thanks guys, I can't wait to test all this out and get better results. Much appreciated;)
Danny Winn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD