Convert to Cineform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Convert to Cineform

Hi Guys

I'm wondering if you guys have tried to convert clips from the new 5d3 to Cineform? I'm thinking since tweaks need to made to the footage such as Sharpening maybe this would be a superior editing codec. Thoughts?

P.S. I use Windows and Mac FCPX and Vegas.
Jonathan Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Convert to Cineform

I downloaded the 5DIII clips from dpreview and they converted to Cineform with HDLink okay.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for letting me know. I'm on the newest version GoPro Cineform Studio Premium, using a Mac Lion. I'm using IPB compression.
I'm hearing IPB on the 5d3 provides a cleaner capture so I'm thinking converting that (instead of ALL-I) to Cineform for a better editing experience may be the way to go and then sharpen in FCPX or Vegas.

Last edited by Jonathan Gentry; April 2nd, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
Jonathan Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It all depends what you are editing with. Premiere will edit native without problems as will Final Cut X (while converting to ProRes under the covers). For Vegas you will need to convert to Cineform.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I've read that de-blocking of ALL-I in Adobe products is weak or not working right now. (Deblocking is usually integrated into the decoder and done immediately after the decode process.) I wonder if transcoding ALL-I to Cineform includes good deblocking?
Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

OK, so I guess the first thing to sort out is - what exactly is causing the issue with ALL-I? If it's an Adobe issue and I'm not using Adobe, maybe I should just be using ALL-I? Need to do more reading...
If I can shoot ALL-I and edit it FCPX with no adverse effects that would be my preference.
Jonathan Gentry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD