5D Mk. III vs Nikon D800 - resolution, ISO, rolling shutter and more - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 13th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: 5D Mk. III vs Nikon D800 - resolution, ISO, rolling shutter and more

Nikon D800 v Canon 5D Mark III video test: high ISO, moiré, rolling shutter & dynamic range:

Old April 13th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
The need to actually sharpen every single video clip in post is also an issue, Nigel.
I've used the mkIII on a few gigs now and the sharpening (about 2-2.5%) in FCP, FCPX, and AE works like a champ. I can live with that since I grade most stuff anyway. What's amazing to me is how much better the mid-high ISO color representation on the mkIII is. Even that last video comparison, you can see the Nikon shift colors as the ISO goes up. And my 7D and mkII did the same thing.
Very happy with my purchase and I'm not knocking the 800 cause I've seen some beautiful stuff come out of it. As some have mentioned, right tool for the job no matter the brand! I'm just heavily vested in Canon glass. And my XF300 is a great videocamera for it's intended purpose. Best of both worlds!
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #33
Major Player

Better DD and resolution, from the Nikon, that's what we've discovered in a test on Time Square, had the D4 though, which seemed also be less noisy compared to 5Dmk3.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #34
Trustee

Canon seems to crush the blacks no matter the iso. At least a couple of dark buildings appeared on the Nikon when the iso was cranked.
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Well the D4 is almost twice the price of the 5D3. I does look good though. I will be getting my own 5D MKIII in the next few days and look forward to putting it through it's paces.

As far as 5D3 vs D800. I personally like the 5D3 better. Like another poster said, not having aliasing/moire issues and having amazing low light capabilities is a big deal to me. I struggled with the terrible moire/aliasing issues in my 5D2. It can be amazing the things in your shot that can cause these issues. It's not just shirts, brick walls and water.

Also, having clean high ISOs is a big deal. There have actually been many times I was in a fairly dark area without the ability to set up lights and also needed to stop down quite a bit to increase my depth of field. This inevitably means having to use higher ISOs. It could be stressful trying to find the right balance between my Iris and ISO settings to get the best image. Having such a huge range of clean ISOs gives a lot of wiggle room.

Also, it does seem as though the 5D3 is more capable when it comes to sharpness and detail. There are two OLPFs in the camera and you can get one of them removed which has a pretty dramatic effect on the image. It apparently doesn't cause aliasing/moire issues.

It's seems Canon went a little overkill on the Anti aliasing filters.
Brad Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
It's seems Canon went a little overkill on the Anti aliasing filters.
Don't believe it. This is a complete load of crap. There is no objective evidence that removing the OLPF improves the resolution at all. Nobody shot any charts just voided the warranty then shot some footage & said "Doesn't that look sharp". Well it does but no sharper than the 5D3 (or 5D2) is capable of without any surgery. Those who have also performed the surgery did this weeks ago & yet after their initial enthusiasm have produced no other footage to demonstrate the supposed advantage to be gained by damaging the camera. I am guessing that they are too embarrassed to admit that they have screwed up their cameras & are just hoping that everybody will forget about the whole business.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Interesting point. Although I have considered having my OLPF replaced, I was definitely planning on waiting a while until more test had been done. His results were compelling though.
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:39 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Ballew View Post
Interesting point. Although I have considered having my OLPF replaced, I was definitely planning on waiting a while until more test had been done. His results were compelling though.
Compelling? You are obviously easily impressed. All we have seen is a few minutes of transcoded, edited & compressed video without any point of reference or comparison. The video looks nice but no nicer than plenty of other video from the 5D3. There is as much evidence that removing the OLPF improves 5D3 video as there is for the use of a green marker to improve your CD audio.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 05:11 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Stumbled upon this 5DMkII versus 5DMkIII versus Nikon D4 versus Nikon D800 test on Vimeo.

The moire comparisons sure are interesting and telling ;-)
Old April 21st, 2012, 08:08 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Compelling? You are obviously easily impressed. All we have seen is a few minutes of transcoded, edited & compressed video without any point of reference or comparison. The video looks nice but no nicer than plenty of other video from the 5D3. There is as much evidence that removing the OLPF improves 5D3 video as there is for the use of a green marker to improve your CD audio.
Well I was referring to the comparison pics from the link I provided. There was noticeably more detail (or so it seemed) in the image with the filter removed. It was certainly compelling enough to cause an uproar throughout the community. I wasn't going to be so hasty as to ship off my 5D3 next week to get it modded. However, I was going to keep an eye out for any updates on the matter.

Thank you for the link though. I will check it out.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:14 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Re: 5D Mk. III OLPF Removed

Here is a Vimeo video with the OLPF removed. Not scientific, direct comparison shots with and without OLPF etc. but at least this guy is kind enough to share his footage whilst the debate on this goes on. Subjectively, at least to me, it actually looks softer than some of the other Vimeo footage I've seen with unbutchered 5DMkIIIs, although the early comments on Vimeo indicate some people think the exact opposite.....the jury's still out on this I think!

Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:09 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Thanks for sharing Andy. I wouldn't watch the video through Vimeo but instead download the file and watch that. It is considerably better looking than what is being streamed through vimeo. Having played with my 5D3 for several hours yesterday and today and I can say that his footage does look sharper out of the camera than mine. I was shooting very similar subject matter also.

I still find it interesting, and would love to see a proper comparison with charts. Surely somebody will make that happen soon. Also, I would like to know how unmodded 5D3 footage that is sharpened in post compares to the footage from the modded 5D3. It might turn out that there is a difference between a modded and unmodded 5D3, but that sharpening the unmodded would make them comparable.

However, there is no reason to run out and mod your camera yet for sure. It will be interesting to see what comes of all this.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:17 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Yeah I know, but it still looked pretty soft to me even when downloaded (I spend most days editing EX3 and TM900 footage that's razor sharp).

This teaser from Andrew Reid got posted toady and looks MUCH more promising, resolution wise....

Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:28 PM   #44
Regular Crew

I can understand that. I shoot and edit with EX3s at one of the places I do contract work for and they are far superior in image quality. I think the 5D footage is always going to have a little bit of that soft look, but the footage was a bit sharper than what I have experienced with my own 5D3.

This new clip you posted definitely looks sharper than what I have coming out of my camera. I would still love to see someone do a proper comparison though.

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 01:19 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Ballew View Post
Thanks for sharing Andy. I wouldn't watch the video through Vimeo but instead download the file and watch that.
Unfortunately the guy is too cheap to pay $60 a year for a Vimeo Pro account & the free account download limit has been exceeded so we can't. The resolution is fine but no better than any other 5D3 footage shot in bright sunshine & there is a terrible red cast to the whole image.

Evidently he is going to provide a tutorial so that others can butcher their cameras too but is disinclined to shoot some charts or proper comparative footage.

When I first got my 5D2 over 3 years ago I would have sworn that it had better resolution than my XHA1 or HV30 until I saw some proper comparisons done & then realised that sharpening & contrast can produce false detail that gives the illusion of increased resolution. I am not prepared to trust my eyes (or anyone else's) when it comes to deciding which camera resolves more detail only proper evaluation with charts or proper side by side comparison can be trusted.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD