5d iii multiple card recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 6th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Major Player

5d iii multiple card recording

Much to my disappointment after just trying it am i right in seeing that the 5d mark iii doesn't record to 2 cards ( CF + SD) at 1 time for video mode? I thought this would be great for backing up wedding footage and it doesn't even do it.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Luke
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: 5d iii multiple card recording

Nope, it will not dual-record to both slots at the same time, nor will it automatically roll over from one slot to the other when the first one becomes full.

It's still very much a photographer's camera with a video mode.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I wonder if the 1DX can record video to both CF cards simultaneously. Dual recording is sometimes required by the insurer when shooting under a film completion bond.
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I wonder if the 1DX can record video to both CF cards simultaneously. Dual recording is sometimes required by the insurer when shooting under a film completion bond.
That'd be tricky on the 5DM3 because of the far slower write performance of SD cards. But even the 1DX with its two CF slots won't do it.

The Canon XF100/300 and the C300 do it, but none of the DSLRs do. Canon is clearly drawing a line between their "real" video cameras and the add-on video functionality in the DSLRs.
Old April 8th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Inner Circle

It's weird and the 1DX won't do it. Seems like a no-brainer. Having lost a CF card once that ruined an entire project (a key actor needed to fly back to college), I'd always use the feature, if I had it available.

Hopefully, the 4K DSLR will implement redundant recording - if not striped recording where half the lines are recorded to each card to increase the available data rate. :)
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I wonder if the 1DX can record video to both CF cards simultaneously.
Apparently the 1DX can indeed record simultaneously to both CF cards. This is taken from Canon's website -- under 'Recording Functions' they list four different recoding options:

1. Standard -- Select one of the CF cards to record.

2. Auto switch card -- When the current card becomes full, the camera switches to the other card automatically.

3. Record separately -- The same image is saved to both cards, but in a different size (L, M1, M2, S, RAW, M-RAW, or S-RAW) that was set for the respective card.

4. Record to multiple -- The same image is saved to both cards in the same size (RAW+JPEG also possible).

-- peer
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #7
Inner Circle

The iDX cannot record video to both cards as that description is only referring to still photographs as a very similar form of words is used to describe the 5D3

Recording Functions

1. Standard

* Records to either the CF card or SD card.

2. Auto switch card

* When the current card becomes full, the camera switches to the other card automatically.

3. Record separately

* The CF card and SD card record the same image at a different image recording quality (L, M, S1, S2, S3, RAW, M-RAW, S-RAW)

4. Record to multiple

* Both the CF card and SD card record the same image at the same image recording quality. (Also applies to RAW+JPEG, M+JPEG, and SRAW+JPEG)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
The iDX cannot record video to both cards [...]
If that's the case, what a pity. Although there are a few interesting cameras about to hit the market, I was almost set on the 1DX (I do stills too) -- but now, if it indeed lacks a headphone jack and also no dual card recoding, my feet are getting cold. Might instead go for a Scarlet or even the 1DC (if its price tag is more handsome).

-- peer
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:24 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
If that's the case, what a pity. Although there are a few interesting cameras about to hit the market, I was almost set on the 1DX (I do stills too) -- but now, if it indeed lacks a headphone jack and also no dual card recoding, my feet are getting cold. Might instead go for a Scarlet or even the 1DC (if its price tag is more handsome).

-- peer
I had a 1DX on order but then they announced & shipped the 5D3 so I bought one of those. From the specifications it's not clear to me what great advantage the 1DX will have over the 5D3 to justify the 40+% higher price. It's a different sensor & there is another stop of low light (51200 vs. 25600), faster burst mode (14fps vs. 6fps) but all the video facilities appear the same.

I dunno when the hell they are going to ship the 1DX. It's 6 months since it was announced & there were hands-on reviews at that time. It's been so long that it looks like they either have a serious technical problem with getting it into production or that they have returned to the drawing board so when it ships it will blow away the Nikon D4 with as yet unannounced new features.

Last edited by Nigel Barker; May 16th, 2012 at 05:00 AM.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:43 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
It's been so long that it looks like they either have a serious technical problem with getting it into production or that they have returned to the drawing board so when it ships it will blow away the Nikon D4 with as yet unannounced new features.
Hopefully it'll be the latter. I parted with my 5D2 the very same day as Canon announced their next generation, and have since been renting (which will soon give me an ulcer). Currently the Scarlet seems to be the best option for me, if it wasn't for its stiff price tag, that is. A $10k 1DC would definitely be my instant ticket (or a Scarlet at the same price).

-- peer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD