DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5d MK lll Overheating? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/506796-5d-mk-lll-overheating.html)

Charles Newcomb April 9th, 2012 10:31 PM

5d MK lll Overheating?

I haven't heard anything about this since the release. Anybody have issues, or did Canon fix that one, too?

I've been waiting three weeks for mine. Should get it sometime this week. I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve.

Josh Dahlberg April 9th, 2012 10:50 PM

Re: 5d MK lll Overheating?

I haven't heard of (or experienced) any problem with the 5D3 overheating. That said, it was never an issue with my 5D2 either, even on long shoots. AFAIK the overheating issue was limited to particular models like the 7D.

Enjoy.

Wayne Avanson April 10th, 2012 05:23 AM

My 7D has overheated a few times but my 5D2 never. A combination of good weather sealing and two processors in the 7D I think. Ruined a couple of shoots for me in the past.

Bob Drummond April 10th, 2012 07:20 AM

Don't know about the 5D MkIII. My T2i would overheat after about 40 minutes of solid recording. My newer T3i has never overheated.

Buba Kastorski April 10th, 2012 08:43 AM

yesterday I ran it for over an hour non stop shooting intraframe, but with the external monitor, no overheating warnings, but I also never seen 5DII overheating

Charles Newcomb April 10th, 2012 02:16 PM

Encouraging replies, all.

I've never had an overheating problem with my 5D2, but I recall some folks saying they did.

Jon Fairhurst April 10th, 2012 03:50 PM

I once had overheating when using a very early, alpha version of Magic Lantern on a tripod with the LCD in the direct sun. I've never experienced overheating since (with or without ML.)

Having a white cloth to cover the camera in the sun is good practice.

Robert Turchick April 10th, 2012 05:32 PM

I'll give the real test here in hell...I mean Phoenix...in a couple of weeks. Going to be outside on the tarmac at an airport for a shoot for several hours. Don't know if it will be the 115 deg test I put my T2i and 7D through but it should be over 100deg!
My 7D and a buddy's 5D mkII survived a desert shoot last August with only a couple of warnings. I then did a 3 day shoot in NOLA with 90% humidity and temps in the 110's. Kept the 7D covered with a towel and shut off between takes and never saw a warning.
I hope the mkIII is as good or better!

Guest May 3rd, 2012 06:29 AM

Would be good to see if Canon put anything a little different in to help with the heat. The whole "it's a still camera from the outside" design thing maybe doesn't apply to the inside anymore. With the summer wedding season coming up I'll have to keep tabs on people I know who have them.

Texas Media Systems on Vimeo