5d MK lll Overheating? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 9th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Major Player

5d MK lll Overheating?

I haven't heard anything about this since the release. Anybody have issues, or did Canon fix that one, too?

I've been waiting three weeks for mine. Should get it sometime this week. I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: 5d MK lll Overheating?

I haven't heard of (or experienced) any problem with the 5D3 overheating. That said, it was never an issue with my 5D2 either, even on long shoots. AFAIK the overheating issue was limited to particular models like the 7D.

Enjoy.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #3
Major Player

My 7D has overheated a few times but my 5D2 never. A combination of good weather sealing and two processors in the 7D I think. Ruined a couple of shoots for me in the past.
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Don't know about the 5D MkIII. My T2i would overheat after about 40 minutes of solid recording. My newer T3i has never overheated.
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #5
Trustee

yesterday I ran it for over an hour non stop shooting intraframe, but with the external monitor, no overheating warnings, but I also never seen 5DII overheating
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Encouraging replies, all.

I've never had an overheating problem with my 5D2, but I recall some folks saying they did.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I once had overheating when using a very early, alpha version of Magic Lantern on a tripod with the LCD in the direct sun. I've never experienced overheating since (with or without ML.)

Having a white cloth to cover the camera in the sun is good practice.
Old April 10th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Trustee

I'll give the real test here in hell...I mean Phoenix...in a couple of weeks. Going to be outside on the tarmac at an airport for a shoot for several hours. Don't know if it will be the 115 deg test I put my T2i and 7D through but it should be over 100deg!
My 7D and a buddy's 5D mkII survived a desert shoot last August with only a couple of warnings. I then did a 3 day shoot in NOLA with 90% humidity and temps in the 110's. Kept the 7D covered with a towel and shut off between takes and never saw a warning.
I hope the mkIII is as good or better!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:29 AM   #9

Would be good to see if Canon put anything a little different in to help with the heat. The whole "it's a still camera from the outside" design thing maybe doesn't apply to the inside anymore. With the summer wedding season coming up I'll have to keep tabs on people I know who have them.

Texas Media Systems on Vimeo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD