Moire' torture test: 5D3 vs 7D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 17th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Major Player

Moire' torture test: 5D3 vs 7D

With my new DSLR successor in-hand, I wanted to test-out just how improved the 5D3 was at suppressing that most nasty of artifacts, rainbow moire'. I found a subject that's always stymied me in the past with my 7D... the grand old Stanley Hotel, up here in my town of Estes Park, CO. Like most architecture shots, it's full of straight lines... clapboards, shingles, stonework, fences, wires, and was always a mishmash of rainbows anytime I tried to shoot some footage of her.

I shot with Faithful presets, and a ND32 (5 stop) Hoya pro filter to let me film at 1/50th shutter, and 24p. The lens is my Tokina 11-16mm/2.8 mentioned in another thread. Although intended for APS sensors, it does indeed mate-up to the FF camera, but you have to watch the zoom that it doesn't creep past 15mm or so, or it will vignette (and does a few times in this test).

I also graded the footage the second time we go through it, with some sharpening and saturation.

I didn't have a loupe (since one doesn't exist yet for the 5D3) or a way to stabilize the shots, since I only had about ten minutes between meetings to shoot some footage. So, it's not anything other than a test for moire'.

Here we go... be sure and watch in 1080p...

Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Moire' torture test: 5D3 vs 7D

So, did either camera capture the ghosts?
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Moire' torture test: 5D3 vs 7D

Ha. Maybe I'll take up IR photography and see them.
Brian Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD