What's the Maximum heat 5d mark ii or iii ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 31st, 2012, 03:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What's the Maximum heat 5d mark ii or iii ?

What's the maximum heat in temperature can the cameras get?
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 04:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: What's the Maximum heat 5d mark ii or iii ?

I don't know specifics, but I've had my M3 give me a heat warning at about 120 degrees f, ambient temperature. It was still running, but not happy. I would guess it to shut down automatically within ten minutes of the warning.
Scott Stoneback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Major Player

I've had mine in near 100 for a 20 min ceremony with no issues.
Old July 31st, 2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Trustee

It really is a matter of how long the camera is running and exposed. Did a full day shoot last year with a MK2 in 115 deg and between takes we shut it down and kept it covered. takes were only 5 min or so. Saw the temp warning once. Did a different outdoor shoot, same camera in a bit cooler...around 105 but there was no time between takes. Temp warning came on frequently but camera never missed a beat.

Will put the mk3 through the torture test. Should be interesting as it will record continuously quite a bit longer.
Already done a 6 hour continuous shoot (seminar) where I was alternating the start/stop times of two mk3's. Both performed perfectly but it was indoors.

Also did some timelapse over this past weekend in above 100 deg but that's stills not video.
Old August 7th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks,

How does it appear on the screen - i mean the warning for heat or the temperature.?
I never had it on my MK3 but i'm interested to know.
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Had the 5dm3 actually shut down finally in very hot ambient temp. I have seen the warning indicator come up before, in about 115degree temp outside, shooting for 20min. Camera still operated.

One time, did sit down interview in 120degree heat and camera running continuous for over an hour. Camera finally shut down in the heat. I touched the bottom, it was really hot. Still worked great up to that point. So, it really needs to run a long time (over 30min) in very hot temps to get to the shut-down point, in my experience.
Scott Stoneback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I've run the Mk2 for countless hours in 140ºF heat with no warnings. The body starts to get hot to the touch, but still seems to work just fine.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD