MKIII vs A99 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 8th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #1
Major Player

MKIII vs A99

Does anyone think the Sony A99 will give Canon's flagship dslr a run for its money? I'm so used to working with 50fps this could offer the one thing that's keeping me from buying a mk iii or a d800.
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: MKIII vs A99

My personal opinion - I'm skeptical. Sony is more invested in broadcast cameras and technology as compared to Canon. A true 1080p60 camera will give out the wrong 'signals', so to speak.

I'm going to watch out for Panasonic, though.
Old August 8th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Wait, what's the Panasonic one?
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Trustee

The Panasonic GH3 which is long overdue.
Old August 9th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #5
Major Player

By the time you invest the money in lens converters, lens and a rig to hold the camera, you may as well buy a real camcorder with interchangeable lenses. In my opinion, you have to ask yourself do you really need that camera. I picked up the CH2 and was happy to have traded it for an XHA1 for the type of shooting that I was doing. Weddings, birthday parties etc.

Regarding the original post, I think that only you can determine which is better. These cameras all have there strengths and for lack of better phrasing, their weaknesses. The A99 will undoubtedly have superior low light capability more so than the sensor that they put into the D800. The A99 will have some better lenses but agin this depends entirely on what type of video you are shooting. I happen to love the Canon and have no desire to sell it at this time. When the Sony A99 comes out, I 'm sure it will be great but as an existing Canon owner, I'm not willing to shell out unecessary money just to say I have what someone else perceives to be the best camera.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD