On Camera Light Source for 5D Mark III at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 20th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #1
Major Player

On Camera Light Source for 5D Mark III

Has anyone tested the Canon 320EX Flash/LED Light on the 5D Mark III or any other camera to gage the usefulness of the LED Light. Is is just an interview light or can it be used in more situations. This Flash was recommended by a Canon representative as an excellent alternative to the expensive Microbeam Flolights. I believe that she is using it personally with the Canon C300.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: On Camera Light Source for 5D Mark III

Maurice, unless you need a flash as well look at the z96 LED that's available on amazon.com Amazingly robust and bright for $90 and uses Sony camera batteries.
Bill
Old August 20th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Bill,

I purchased a similar light from Calumet Photo and returned it soon after. The light is good for something up close but will not help me if I am shooting into the sun (not that the 320EX would). Does this particular version offer a dimmer?

How would it compare to the Microbeam Flolights?
Old August 21st, 2012, 05:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

There are no performance figures on the Canon unit but it must be pitifully dim as there is no room for more than a handful of LEDs. The Microbeam Flolight claims to be 100W hotlight equivalent output which is an outright lie. The http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/185678-REG/Lowel_ID_02_ID_Light_100W_Focus_Flood.html uses a 50W or 100W car headlamp bulb & there is no way that any of the battery powered LED fixtures have anywhere near that power. There are other similar halogen lamps available but I would think that they are all a bit too bright for on-camera use but if you really do want to overpower the sun then that is what you will need & even a true 100W will need to be used at close quarters.

There are many versions of multi-LED lamps 128-LED

& 160-LED

versions are popular & cheap but the 6-LED lamps that look a little like the Comer 1800s are brighter & have a more focused beam but are still around $60

Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #5
Trustee

I use a varied list of different lights with the 5D. My favourite powerful light for run & gun type work is the Canon VL-10Li, which works with small or large re-chargeable heavy duty Canon BP-945 batteries.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/351270...kHw__60_12.JPG
Old August 26th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Major Player

I own this light. What are you shooting with this light? My experience is that this light doesn't cover that large of an area.
Old August 26th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Trustee

As mentioned, I use numerous different lights, depending on subject.

With the VL-10Li for video work, I use it with many different lenses, including the 17-35mm L & 24-70mm L. I mainly use it for night work, but also use it for daylight work to add light in the shadows during harsh sunlight, or to bring back colour in the subject during the the low light of dusk and dawn (similar to what I would do with the Canon 580EX II for still shots). I sometimes also use the VL-10Li for stills shots when I want to avoid the harsher coverage of the Speedlight.

It is true that the VL-10Li doesn't cover the extreme corners of ultra-wide lenses, but often my subjects do not need this and are enhanced by the fall-off into darkness at edges of frame. However, when I need to light up the corners I will add a second light from my Sachtler Reporter 50H (powered by a waist-belt battery pack and controlled with the inbuilt filters and barn doors).

I sometimes also use a high-powered LED light, but find that it shines a very cold light, veering towards the blue spectrum, so much prefer the warmer-toned light from the VL-10i or the Reporter 50H with a gold filter.
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Major Player

Tony

that's really good information for me. I'm going to try using the light in some similar situations. I'll also take a looke at your other light if I can locate it on the internet. I'm hoping that I dont need to spend tnousands for lighting but at the same time, I want to get some really well lit footage.

Thanks for the response.
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Inner Circle

We have Comer 1800 and Comer 900 lights that works well on DSLR. I myself use them on T3i and 60D. Our photographer use it on 5DM2. Got some pictures here.

Is Comer 1800 Light Too Big on Panasonic GH1 or Canon T2i? | L.A. Color Online Blog

If you still think it's too big, Comer 900 is lighter.

Comer light is 4500K color temperature by default. When using the top orange filter, it lowers the color temp to 3200K tungsten.

I use Canon VL-10 before. It's really spotty.. and having no dimmer is a disadvantage. I did some shootout videos comparing serveral video lights including LitePanel Micro, VL10 and Comer.

Old September 20th, 2012, 06:12 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Another light worth mentioning is the Switronix Torch LED Bolt (TL-BT200). It's as powerful as the Comer, has a temperature range of about 3000k to 6000k (blendable), and runs on a Sony battery. Just got mine yesterday and so far I'm impressed, though it's my first on-camera LED so I can't compare to others. B&H has them for $300 including a battery/charger kit.

TL-BT200

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/824710-REG/Switronix_TL_BT200_TorchLED_Bolt_On_Camera_LED.html
Matt Lawrence is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD