Canon L Glass vs Rokinon Cine Primes for Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 30th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon L Glass vs Rokinon Cine Primes for Video

Hey guys, looking at upgrading to some new primes that're full frame capable for when I upgrade to a 5dii soon, what's the consensus between the Canon L primes and the Rokinon Cine Primes? For half as much a 35mm t1.5 looks good with declicked aperture and lens gear, though the L would be nice for the photo side... Strictly speaking video, how do the lenses compare? Bokeh, Sharpness, etc...

Thanks,
Evan
Old September 30th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Canon L Glass vs Rokinon Cine Primes for Video

I'm looking at buying a set of these from B&H; the 14mm, 24mm & 35mm. I'll get the 50mm and 85mm cine versions when they are released.

I have read good reviews of these over on some other forums. Seemingly they stack up very well against Canon L series lenses, and are in some cases sharper than Nikon lenses. The only issue seems to that there is a little more CA with these than with L series lenses (though it is negligible).

There are a lot of positive reviews over on RedUser; seemingly they work well at 5K, so they should be up to the task for any HD work.

See this article comparing them to Zeiss optics:

Showdown: Rokinon Vs. Zeiss Matthew Duclos' Circle of Confusion
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I say do it. I've got a 35mm 1.4 and it is a really good looking lens. No complaints on the video side of picture quality. Plus, the build quality is substantial... feels like a solid, sturdy lens. It is about the size of the 24-105 L lens.
Scott Stoneback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Quick update, after reading a number of reviews, I bought a Canon 35mm 1.4 L, but will probably also be buying at least one Rokinon Cine soon. I might rent the Cine 35mm t1.5 and do a comparison video.. Anyone try any specific Cine's from rokinon and have thoughts/comparisons to canon versions?
Old October 1st, 2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Trustee

I've had 85mm (non cine) for a while and all i can say it is a very sharp lens and for less than $400 it is a literally no-brainer, my 24mm cine is on the way and i will be collecting the whole set as cine lenses will be released.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Major Player

I don't think they will be releasing a 50mm even though they really need to. Just so yall now, there are very little difference in the optic themselves when comparing the cine vs. non-cine. I have rokinon 35mm and 85mm non-cine and am loving it.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:11 AM   #7
Major Player

On their Facebook page they said they are working on the 85mm and 50mm (85mm is coming first).
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:58 AM   #8
Major Player

That would be really nice with at 50 from Samyang...

I'm using the 8 (on 7D), 14 and 35 (no cine, but will "upgrade") and I'll get the 24 and 85...

/Markus
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Major Player

I just declicked my 35, pretty quick, if you are intertested how, do a quick search any you probably will find a YouTube clip. So, no won't get the cine lens, I make same cine gear on my own ( in my friends metal shop) to work with my D|Focus. Now I'll check my 14... Hope that one is as easy...

Edit:
Just finished the 14... Exact the same way as the 35. One small differens... The small pin that the "metallic brass" ring hock up on looks a little different. This one is the small peg in the hole attached to the spring.
Old October 5th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Major Player

I do have the non-cine 85 as well, I'm a pretty big fan. Sucks pretty hard for photo to be honest, but I love it for video. Just did my first shoot with the new 35L tonight, super big fan! Thinking I might get the 8mm cine to rock on the glide cam, but if I'm not pulling focus might as well get the non-cine.. I'd be down for a 50cine big time, can toss my 1.8 hah.

EDIT: Anyone know anything of a good cine 135?
Old October 6th, 2012, 02:34 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thinking I might get the 8mm cine to rock on the glide cam
That's almost fisheye on a crop camera and definitely on a full frame which will give you serious deformed images, probably ok if you do skater video's or for that one particular shot where you want to capture a very large building but for all other general steadicam work the 14mm is a better choice.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 04:11 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
That's almost fisheye on a crop camera and definitely on a full frame which will give you serious deformed images, probably ok if you do skater video's or for that one particular shot where you want to capture a very large building but for all other general steadicam work the 14mm is a better choice.
The 8 is a fisheye and on an APS-C sensor it got almost 180 degree frame. On a FF it vinjett ALOT! And useless for video. If you would cut of the sun hood and crop the 1080 to 720, then you may get a frame without stuff in its way, but what's the point?
On FF the 14 is better... (But the 8 on a APS-C is wider).
Old October 6th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #13
Major Player

why would you want to fly with a fish eye? I found that even at flying at 16mm, there's some distortion in the Tokina 11-16. Now I prefer to fly at 24mm.

@ Evan: cine 135? you can use manual 135. Zeiss is always good. I have a pentacon "bokeh monster" 135 f 2.8 and I'm extremely happy with it. There are also a bunch of good cheap 135 too.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD