12volt D-tap power to the 5Dii at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 8th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Major Player

12volt D-tap power to the 5Dii

I want to be able to power the 5Dii fitted with a battery grip from an external 12v battery (Swit 96Ah battery) for extended running time. This will necessitates to have the door compartment of the battery grip remain permanently open in order for the wire to exit. Most products have the wire exiting out of the battery dummy in such a way that it cannot be used in the battery grip. However I finally stumbled upon the Zacuto option: LP-E6 to D-Tap Power Cable

This seems to let me use my D-Tap outlet on the battery to power the 5D and the wire seems to be in such a way that can be inserted into the battery grip easily.

Anyone is using such a wire and if so what are your views? Are there any cheaper alternatives? Zacuto seem to make very sensible products but one has to pay for their quality and design!
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: 12volt D-tap power to the 5Dii

I can reply this question myself. I did buy the Zacuto wire and it fits nicely in the battery grip.

Using the Hawk-Woods hot-bloc adaptor, I can now power the 5D for hours using the Switronix EX-L96!
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD