ND Filters and White Balance? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 20th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Major Player

ND Filters and White Balance?

So when using a Variable ND filter, do I set White Balance before or after screwing it on the lens? Thanks!
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: ND Filters and White Balance?

Theoretically it shouldn't alter the white balance..(Results may differ in the real world with cheaper ND filters though)... So to be sure I would do the white balance with the filter on, as that is how you will be shooting..
Sander Vreuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Very cool, thanks much!
Old October 20th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Major Player

with cheap ND filters, they do sometime add a tint such as green for example. It would be good if you can white balance with the ND filter on.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Nguyen View Post
with cheap ND filters, they do sometime add a tint such as green for example. It would be good if you can white balance with the ND filter on.
Cool, thanks Victor. I'm planning on getting the light Craft Workshop ND Filter, I think thats considered one of the better ones.
Old October 21st, 2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Major Player

I have the light craft workshop. A little bit soft and it add a hint of tint. I think the quality degrade with telephoto lens. It's decent for the money.
Old October 21st, 2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Nguyen View Post
I have the light craft workshop. A little bit soft and it add a hint of tint. I think the quality degrade with telephoto lens. It's decent for the money.
My lens is the canon 24-70, do you forsee any problem with this lens?
Old October 21st, 2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Major Player

I don't see why not. Just make sure that it has the right filter length. Test it out to see if you like it. I have use it in once outside and there was a dramatic loss in sharpness. I then try to test it inside and the filter was fine. I'm gonna do one final outside test one of these days.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Regular Crew

It's always a good idea to roll a few seconds on your white/gray card under your final lighting at your final stop so you can adjust your WB in post if necessary. If you have color correction on your lens or lights be sure that is in place as well... but if you are adding color for effect aka "warming the scene up" be sure to white balance before you add the effect colors.

It's not always possible in the real world, but a white card at the head of each scene can really help you out of a jam you didn't notice on set or in your viewfinder. And if you aren't editing the footage yourself, your editor will be very grateful!
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
It's always a good idea to roll a few seconds on your white/gray card under your final lighting at your final stop so you can adjust your WB in post if necessary. If you have color correction on your lens or lights be sure that is in place as well... but if you are adding color for effect aka "warming the scene up" be sure to white balance before you add the effect colors.

It's not always possible in the real world, but a white card at the head of each scene can really help you out of a jam you didn't notice on set or in your viewfinder. And if you aren't editing the footage yourself, your editor will be very grateful!
Cool, thanks for your input John. No color effects, just a simple variable ND filter for bright outdoor shots.
Danny Winn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD