6D as a second cam to MkIII at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 19th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #1
Major Player

6D as a second cam to MkIII

Hello everyone,
Currently I'm shooting with a mkIII and 2 60Ds. I like the 60D for its crop factor when shooting ceremonies, but I lose it at the reception because it just can't keep pace with the 5D at high ISOs. I think the 6D would be a pretty good performer in that regard and I love the idea of remote control and viewing through the android app. Thoughts?
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: 6D as a second cam to MkIII

2 x 6D with Atamos Ninja 2 should give you some stunning footage. But lets wait and see what it has to offer when Mr Bloom does he test.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Major Player

I've pondered this too. I originally thought the 6D has the same sensor as the mk3 but it does not. It's full frame so it should be miles better than the crop lot but up to the mk3 standard is not known yet.

If I sold my camcorders and all my EF-S lenses and shot soley with a mk3 and 6D and bought another 6D as backup I'd actually be in profit. What's stopping me is the C100. Although I am ultimately prepared to do it, I hate the idea of filming solely with DSLRs, for me, everything seems to have to be a work-a-round and much more complicated than a dedicated camcorder (inc C100). Weddings can be stressfull enough.
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #4
Major Player

Dan,
I'm in the opposite camp. I've figured out the workflow to the point that it doesn't bother me and dragging out an expensive video camera just seems like too much work for too little result. I've recently added a third guy to shoot with me, and that should cover us with the mkIII, 6D, and 60D. I've seen a lot of pushback from photographers on this cam, I was just wondering if anybody has researched it any further... I agree about seeing it though... I've considered waiting, but I think that if I wait it'll be March before I'll find one in stock.
Bill
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

If (& it's a big IF) the 6D has the same Canon DSLR second generation video quality as the 5D3 then it will be a great complement to the 5D3. It's particularly neat as a B/C cam for with the built in WiFi you can control it remotely from your smartphone. OK you can do this with the 5D3 already but only if you buy the ridiculously expensive WFT-E7B device.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Dan,
I'm in the opposite camp. I've figured out the workflow to the point that it doesn't bother me and dragging out an expensive video camera just seems like too much work for too little result. I've recently added a third guy to shoot with me, and that should cover us with the mkIII, 6D, and 60D. I've seen a lot of pushback from photographers on this cam, I was just wondering if anybody has researched it any further... I agree about seeing it though... I've considered waiting, but I think that if I wait it'll be March before I'll find one in stock.
Bill
I'm envious Bill! What type of edit do you deliver? (long, short etc) I think when shooting DSLR you need at least 3 cameras to safely capture ceremony for a full edit.
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #7
Major Player

Dan, I'm delivering a long form, short form, and trailer. The main keys for me right now are off camera audio and a video camera for a wide. I can shoot it with 1 dslr and video cam, but I prefer to have 3 DSLRs. Good ones are just so cheap it makes sense to have several at the ready. If I can have three guys, 1 close right, 1 close left and one medium center, I could have the video cam in case of emergency only...
Bill

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD