Wireless Viewfinder Canon 5D Mk II & III with Video stop/start at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 15th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #1
Trustee

Wireless Viewfinder Canon 5D Mk II & III with Video stop/start

I've been using the Phottix Hector for most of my remote controlled viewing with the Canon 5D MkII during the past few years (Phottix do a cable version called the "Hector" and a wireless version called the "Hero"). It works great and provides a remote LCD LiveView screen for viewing all controls at distance from the camera, and firing the shutter in continuous shooting, 2-sec delay and Bulb settings.

Phottix Hector Live View Remote ? The Phottix Journal

Phottix Hero Review ? The Phottix Journal

The biggest problem with the Phottix Hector & Hero are they do not have a video STOP/START function and so can only fire off stills images.

I found one way around this and use the "Remote Commander" - (Universal Camera Remote Control - that works with Canon, Nikon and Pentax cameras). Made by a company in Australia.
By setting the Canon 5D Mark II body on 2-second delay and pressing the 2S function on the Remote Commander, it is able to stop & start the video mode without the need for cable connections.

Using the Hector or Hero combined with the Remote Commander device does work quite well, but it can be a bit temperamental at distance, and the RC device is infrared, so needs to point at the front of the 5D camera and also is affected when working outdoors in bright sunlight. (When I need to fire the Remote Commander from behind the Canon camera, I use a small mirror to bounce the beam to the front of the body).

The original version of the Gigtube GW C1 made by Aputure, also suffered the same problems as the Phottix, in that it did not control video modes in the remote camera body.

Aputure have now updated the Gigtube model to include wireless stop/start video control for the Canon 5D Mark II. This model is the called the GW2-CII.

There is also an updated version that will control video Stop/Start in the latest Canon 5D Mark III. This Gigtube model is called the GW2-CIII.

The GWII-CIII model will also work with 1DX, 1D Mark IV, 5D Mark III, 7D, 650D(T4i), 600D(T3i),6D, 550D(T2i), 500D(T1i), and 60D.

Aputure Limited - Gigtube Wireless Digital Viewfinder

Remaining on the subject of remote control devices, I've also been looking at ways of pulling focus without needing to touch the lens (especially when I video subjects using my powerful telephoto lenses).

The FC1 USB Focus Controller, made by Okii, looked decent enough when I first viewed it, but it just seemed too fiddly for my liking.

FC1 USB Focus Controller

I much prefer the V-Control USB Focus Controller that is also marketed by Aputure. It has a plastic body compared to the metal FC1 (but the V-control does have a metal tripod connection point as well as an easier way to quickly change batteries from AA to Lithium units), The V-Control also offers a more intuitive layout and form factor:

V-Control USB Focus Controller

Last edited by Tony Davies-Patrick; December 15th, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Tony Davies-Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Wireless Viewfinder Canon 5D Mk II & III with Video stop/start

Don't see any prices on the gigtube website? never mind I found it on fotodiox
Old December 15th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Trustee

The Gigtube GWII is around £130-£185 or $160-$200 from various sellers at online websites, including Ebay (also Fotodiox, as Khoi pointed out, although prices hike to almost $300 there).
The V-Control USB Focus Control unit is around £105-£150 (depending where you look) or 140-180$ from various dealers online or Ebay.
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #4
Inner Circle

One of the little improvements that they made to the 5D3 for video use is that you can use a regular cheap wireless remote to start/stop video recording & presumably this would work with Hector & Hero too. There is an option in the menus to have the remote control operate the shutter for stills or start/stop video.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Trustee

Yes Nigel, sorry, I forgot to mention the Mk III updated remote function! :)

The main thing that I like with the Phottix/HC combination is that I can either start/stop video mode or fire stills with the remote using seperate button controls without going back to the camera to change settings. I'm not sure if the Hector or Hero would allow both stills & video control with the 5D Mark III without needing to change the internal menu each time on the camera body (which would be no good for my type of work).
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:42 AM   #6
Trustee

For many years I have been using the Samcine Shoulder Mount for my hand-held video with camcorders and DSLR cameras. The Samcine was originally made in London for the movie industry, but I have adapted it for my Canon 5D Mark II. It works extremely well and the combined shoulder/waist support holds everything rock steady for run & gun work.
The original hand grip on the Samcine has a button for firing the camera or beginning video recording, but this obviously doesn't work for the 5D or other DSLR cameras fitted to the Samcine. So up until now, I've had to move my right hand to the back of the 5D to press the button on the rear dial of the camera to begin recording. Now that has all changed!

Aputure V-Remote IR Controller - YouTube

I've just bought the V-Remote made by Aputure...at a cost of only £8.59 ($14 US dollars) + Free Postage/shipping. It is a very simple IR remote that works in the exact same principle as my RM-4D Mk II Remote Commander device. The difference is that the V-Remote has an inbuilt strap and long adjustable pointing arm. This fits very neatly on to my Samcine shoulder rig...in fact exactly in the same place where the original start/stop button used to be. This extremely simple device has changed my video filming entirely! I've been out today testing the V-Remote and it does exactly what it says on the can, and will now replace my Remote Commander for most of my video work filmed from the shoulder. Often simple ideas make life more simple! :)

Last edited by Tony Davies-Patrick; January 3rd, 2013 at 08:04 AM.
Tony Davies-Patrick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD