Live View blurry on 5D3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 16th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Live View blurry on 5D3

So I bought a Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM II on ebay and used it for the first time today.

Using live view to preview my shots, I got very strange, blurry previews which do not occur on my other lenses.

When I was at 16mm it was fine. At 24mm it was fine. But when I zoomed almost to 35mm, the live view preview is super blurry. I'm not out of focus; in fact taking the photo and then examining it reveals that the captured image is very sharp. But the live view preview is useless and shows the image as totally blurry.

Interestingly, this only affects live view in photo mode. When I switch from photo to video mode, the preview instantly sharpens up to represent what the camera is actually recording. That's what happens in the attached video, which I shot with my phone. The blurry preview is DEFINITELY IN FOCUS on photo mode. You hear the click of me switching to video mode and the live view preview instantly corrects. Despite no change in settings.

Do you reckon you can figure out what the heck is going on?

I'd love to know if it's a lens problem or just a simple setting I need to alter somewhere.

Thanks,
-- John
Attached Files
File Type: mov IMG_5325.MOV (542.8 KB, 240 views)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD