How Much More Image Quality Will 4:2:2 Uncompressed 5d Mk III Really Provide? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 8th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: How Much More Image Quality Will 4:2:2 Uncompressed 5d Mk III Really Provide?

I think the gains of 4:2:2 are marginal, unless you are keying. The bigger advantage (or disadvantage) is the external codec. If it's much better, the images will be much better. And, yes, the extra chroma samples of 4:2:2 might help reduce chroma noise and block artifacts.
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:38 AM   #17
Major Player

Re: How Much More Image Quality Will 4:2:2 Uncompressed 5d Mk III Really Provide?

I hope that the 4:2:2 will help with less banding, but maybe it needs to get up to 10 bit for that. Hopefully Canon is able to send an clean uncompressed signal AND also keep icons on the 5DIII LCD and record internally. I hope that's the reason why it is taking so long time.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Yeah, banding is related to bits, rather than colorspace bandwidth. You can minimize banding by adding noise, but it has to be added before the 8-bit truncation/rounding.

When grading in post, make sure to work in a 16-bit of floating point mode. Then you can add dither to reduce banding due to the grading process. In fact, I think a lot of people have bashed 8-bit cameras not because of the 8-bit source image but because of the additional banding added when doing 8-bit post work.
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #19
Regular Crew

What's banding?
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 12:23 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I think banding is the wrong term for what's being described. I believe that the lack of bit depth on smooth gradients causes an artifact that is called "contouring", which shows hard steps, rather than smooth changes over a nearly flat image, like the sky, a plain wall, or a balloon. It looks similar to the contours that one sees on a topographical map.

I believe that banding is the artifact that we get from rolling shutter - typically light or dark horizontal bands across the image - that happen when the shutter speed doesn't match the frequency of fluorescent lights or when there are strobes/flashes in the scene.
Old March 8th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
The basic flaw is that it mirrors the LCD & you cannot remove the overlays.
What do you mean by that? That the HDMI signal was not meant for recording?
Alex DeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex DeJesus View Post
What do you mean by that? That the HDMI signal was not meant for recording?
Correct! At least that is the current situation that the promised new firmware is supposed to correct.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD