Moire and aliasing issues on Canon 6D - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 20th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Moire and aliasing issues on Canon 6D

Sound is in all honesty the one thing I am consistently adjusting at weddings. Having to stop recording to increase the input level would be a little bit of a nightmare for me.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #17
Major Player

The only one of the canons you can adjust sound on while recording is the mkIII unless you use ML...
Bill
Old February 21st, 2013, 01:21 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I want to make short clip to show the Moire pattern on 6D. Let me tell you, I tried many things in the house but couldn't find any that shows lots of Moire. I tried fabric, screen door, texture wall... Then see some on my luggage. So I did this test.

I noticed the pattern is less obvious switching from Standard picture profile to Neutral. And it gets even less when setting Contrast all the way down to -4 in Neutral. It's very difficult to see it here because of the mp4 artifact.

Old February 26th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #19
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Schmidt View Post
Hello,

I think many like myself are thinking about getting the 6D for video instead of the Mark 3 as it is about $1000 cheaper. So I ordered one early Dec 12 for shooting video. Unfortunately I found out pretty fast that the moire and aliasing issues are so bad that the camera is unusable for video production. I sold it on eBay and now bought the Canon 5D Mark 3 instead. For taking pictures the camera is wonderful and I can highly recommend it.

To show the moire and aliasing issues I uploaded this simple clip.

Simple Test with Canon 6D - YouTube

As I thought this might be of general interest I shared it as this buying and selling costed me more pennies then I liked.

Cheers
- Andreas
Just curious - did you try shooting with the sharpness slider all the way to zero and sharpening it up in post? This is what I do with the 5d3.
Shawn Clary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #20
Major Player

If we look at resale value of the 6D and the MK3 would the MK3 not be a better investment all round?
The price of the MK2 is still quite high but I image the 6D will drop quite considerably over the next year as the Rebels do.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #21
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Peter View Post
Sound is in all honesty the one thing I am consistently adjusting at weddings. Having to stop recording to increase the input level would be a little bit of a nightmare for me.
This is an issue for me as well. I know the downsides of going "auto" but I did some tests and found that if you record in "auto" with the attenuation turned on it does a much better job of evening everything out. It seemed to get rid of the wild swings, and wind noise. I used a SONY wireless mic. I am not an audio expert and attenuation me be more of a feature used with line inputs, but all I can tell you is that it sounds loads better recording in "auto" with the attenuation turned on.
Scott Hutchcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #22
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Schmidt View Post
Hello,

I think many like myself are thinking about getting the 6D for video instead of the Mark 3 as it is about $1000 cheaper. So I ordered one early Dec 12 for shooting video. Unfortunately I found out pretty fast that the moire and aliasing issues are so bad that the camera is unusable for video production. I sold it on eBay and now bought the Canon 5D Mark 3 instead. For taking pictures the camera is wonderful and I can highly recommend it.

To show the moire and aliasing issues I uploaded this simple clip.

Simple Test with Canon 6D - YouTube

As I thought this might be of general interest I shared it as this buying and selling costed me more pennies then I liked.

Cheers
- Andreas
I could be wrong but I though the 5d MarkIII and the 6d shared the same image processor. The MarkII beats the 6D as a stills cam but not in quality of video. The MarkIII also has a headphone jack which might make it worth the price. I have a 6D and love it, but i do miss the headphone jack.
Scott Hutchcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #23
Inner Circle

I'm using RODE VideoMic Pro. It has three levels audio switche, -10db, 0db, and +20db. The +20db is created for DSLR. With such, just set the audio level on DSLR one notch above zero. Then use the microphone's +20db for the amplification.
Old March 8th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchcroft View Post
I could be wrong but I though the 5d MarkIII and the 6d shared the same image processor.
The processors might be the same but the "processing" is different. The 5D3 removes aliasing. The 6D does not.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD