6D vs MK3 colours - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 7th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: 6D vs MK3 colours

Well I guess what I was trying to say is that opinions on moire are relative to your situation. If I'm shooting bricks or have a tight pattern in a narrative piece, I'll take into account the best tool for the job. But as a second cam in low light, the 6D is crackerjack. I wouldn't have it as my only cam but as a second especially for.weddings it works well.
Bill
Old February 7th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #17
Inner Circle

For under $400, one could add the VAF-6D anti-aliasing filter, as compared to needing a 2nd camera, upgrading to the 5D3, or tolerating aliasing.

VAF-6D Optical Anti-Aliasing Filter

To be clear, I have no interest in Mosaic Engineering whatsoever, aside from owning the original 5D2 filter.
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #18
Major Player

doesn't that void the warranty?
Old February 7th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Definitely not. You raise the mirror and slide the VAF in when you want to use it and slide it back out when you don't. Nothing destructive or irreversible done to the camera. No disassembly. Nothing touches the sensor. If anything, it's an extra layer of sensor protection, once installed.

The positives:
* Aliasing and moire is virtually all removed. Images with a harsh feel (like a face with stubble) are much smoother and natural looking. So it's not just for "problem" scenes.
* The cost, compared to a large sensor cam without aliasing, is reasonable.
* It is 100% removable with no ill effects.

The negatives:
* It needs to be removed when shooting high-res photos. (Though you can leave it in when scaling down for smaller web photos.)
* Since it blocks the mirror, you can't pre-adjust the focus using the photo AF points and you can't use the viewfinder. When installed, it's Live View only.
* It's not too hard to install and remove, but it is yet one more thing to do. And unless you're really organized, the case won't be at hand when you want to remove it. It's definitely better for video-only use than mixed use.
* The original version doesn't work well win wide lenses. Apparently the VAF-5D2b fixes that.
* It makes zoom lenses non-parfocal - or "worse-parfocal". The "b" version is supposed to be better.
* It increases the minimum focal distance. Maybe the "b" improves on this as well.

So it's not perfect. I'd much rather have a 5D3. But for the money, I'm sticking with the 5D2 + VAF. The negatives above haven't been enough for me to justify spending another $1k or so to upgrade. Besides, if the images look great, the audience doesn't care if the shooter had to spend a few extra minutes messing with the camera here and there.

In fact, rather than upgrading to the 5D3, I've considered adding a used T2i and VAF to increase my focal length options and give me a second/backup body. But for now, I'm sticking with what I have.
Old February 8th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #20
Major Player

I think it's another MK3 for me.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD