5d3 - Adobe Premiere Pro - Do you use sharpen or the unsharp mask? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:16 AM   #1
New Boot

5d3 - Adobe Premiere Pro - Do you use sharpen or the unsharp mask?

I use the standard profile with sharpness in camera all the way to the far left, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to sharpen with the "Sharpen" tool or use the unsharp mask.

In the past I've used the unsharp mask around 130 with a 1.1 radius; for fun tonight I used the sharpen tool with a "30" setting and found the results more pleasing.

Am I nuts?
Shawn Clary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 5d3 - Adobe Premiere Pro - Do you use sharpen or the unsharp mask?

Generally I use the Sharpen effect with a value of 80. Ideally you would do each clip separately but finding the maximum before artefacts appear & backing off a bit but that is very time-consuming so I tend to use a value that is good for most situations.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Depends really... if it's a nice medium or CU shot of people, I usually don't apply any sharpening. But for shots when I do need a little sharpening, I use "Sharpen" at around 30.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Major Player

tagging for later
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #5
New Boot

Sharpen at somewhere between 25 and 40 for most stuff. Just takes the edge of the softness.

On certain shots any sharpening looks nasty, but that's a good rule of thumb for me.
Tom Dowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Generally I use the Sharpen effect with a value of 80. Ideally you would do each clip separately but finding the maximum before artefacts appear & backing off a bit but that is very time-consuming so I tend to use a value that is good for most situations.
Nigel, was that a mistype? i've never gone anywhere near 80. on the 5d2 i would do 20-35, and now on the c100, no more than 10.
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Levine View Post
Nigel, was that a mistype? i've never gone anywhere near 80. on the 5d2 i would do 20-35, and now on the c100, no more than 10.
No it was not a mistype. I was referring to the 5D3 which is an entirely different beast to the 5D2. I rarely sharpen 5D2 video at all & then no more than 20-30. When I had my C300 I would not add any sharpening to that at all. Just as you can crank up the ISO on the 5D3 without any noise appearing you can crank up the sharpening to what seem like crazy levels without destroying the image in fact on the contrary it improves the image.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #8
Major Player

Any other filters you recommend for enhancing video? "Cheating" a good lens...?
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Urban,

In my opinion, nothing beats quality glass. The sharpening is just to counter the processing the camera does internally which of course degrades the image. But if you don't have good glass to begin with, you'll be a little bit behind the 8-ball trying to fix that in post. But if you don't have good glass, just turn your weakness into a strength and build a "look" around it... just don't go over-board.

:)
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #10
Major Player

So true, John. I totally agree. Still, if anybody recommends some good filters/effects I'm all ears. Especially sharpening and de-grain.
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD