5d3 - What color/saturation/color profile do you use? DigitalRev... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 29th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #1
New Boot

5d3 - What color/saturation/color profile do you use? DigitalRev...

I use standard with the contrast and saturation at the default levels, and have the sharpness all the way to the left and sharpen in post.
However, I always enjoy "the look" of DigitalRev's videos that are shot on the 5d3, so I sent a Facebook message to Lok C. and asked him what he does.

His response:

"I set contrast all the way lowest, that's all. I found it produce more details and less chance of highlight over blown. Just that doesn't mean it's the best setting, all subject to taste, and shooting environment. So if you're happy with you result that's the most important."

I often find myself (with stills) on the 5d3 tuning DOWN the highlights and lifting the shadows as I like the detailed look - think turning contrast all the way down will achieve this effect?

Shawn
Shawn Clary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 5d3 - What color/saturation/color profile do you use? DigitalRev...

Contrast on the video side will be your first option to address the shadow areas. Your next step is to create a custom picture profile through the Canon software and make a curve with the shadows lifted and the highlights rolled off a bit. You can also adress any color corrections at that time if you want to.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD