5D mk3 new firmware now available! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:57 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: 5D mk3 new firmware now available!

Check the aspect ratio of your monitor, it most likely isn't a true 16:9. It won't ever be able to fill the full frame of your monitor if it is a different shape. It's not unusual, most on-board monitors are not true HD resolution or even 16:9. The real benefit of the clean HDMI output is for recording not really for monitoring...
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:04 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Yep... just looked it up and your monitor's resolution is 1024x600, so the monitor has to do some scaling in order to display 1920x1080. Like I said, not unusual at all, even for a super duper high end monitor like yours. The good news is, you should be able to zoom in to a 1:1 pixel display on your monitor and get a great critical focus.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:58 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
Yep... just looked it up and your monitor's resolution is 1024x600, so the monitor has to do some scaling in order to display 1920x1080. Like I said, not unusual at all, even for a super duper high end monitor like yours. The good news is, you should be able to zoom in to a 1:1 pixel display on your monitor and get a great critical focus.
Thanks John! Pressing the info did the trick, I had to press the button until I got a full frame view from the HDMI output.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 08:01 PM   #19
Regular Crew

i plug into my Marshall 7" LCD, it fills the whole screen
Thomas Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #20
Major Player

Same with my Lilliput 7" 5DII. Downscaling is going on but the full frame pic is nice and sharp. Certainly much nicer than it was before the firmware update. And it stays full frame (or 16:9 at least which almost fills the frame) when I press the playback button which it didn't before. So although I may not be buying an external recorder just yet if at all, my monitoring has just got better.
Old May 7th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Hey guys, I've been ready all of the post regarding the new firmware, so I decided to upgrade mine his morning. I noticed I do get full screen on my IndiPro 5" monitor without having to rescale. Now I'm trying to decide if I should get a Atomos Ninja2 or the BM Hyperdeck shuttle and use it for recording. I don't record greenscreen nor do I go overboard on color correction in post. The only benefit I can see from what I've read is that it would eliminates the 29:00 minute recording limit.

David A
Dave Ande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ande View Post
Hey guys, I've been ready all of the post regarding the new firmware, so I decided to upgrade mine his morning. I noticed I do get full screen on my IndiPro 5" monitor without having to rescale. Now I'm trying to decide if I should get a Atomos Ninja2 or the BM Hyperdeck shuttle and use it for recording. I don't record greenscreen nor do I go overboard on color correction in post. The only benefit I can see from what I've read is that it would eliminates the 29:00 minute recording limit.

David A
Recording direct to ProRes would be a good benefit as would dual system recording simultaneously to card & HDMI recorder.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Recording direct to ProRes would be a good benefit as would dual system recording simultaneously to card & HDMI recorder.
This brings up a question I have... if you can't record audio via the HDMI output to an external recorder ATOMOS etc), then you're back to syncing via a slate, rather than being able to sync by matching audio waveforms (EG using PluralEyes), right?
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #24
Major Player

From what I've seen online Julian , if you run a 3.5mm mini jack audio cable frm the 5d3 to the ninja, you'll have audio.

A very in depth video in using the 5d3 and ninja 2

Last edited by James Strange; May 8th, 2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Double link
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #25
Major Player

…but not the BMD Hyperdeck Shuttle unfortunately. No external audio in for that.
Old May 10th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #26
Major Player

The audio-in on the Ninja 2 is line-in level, not mic-level, so you can't plug an external mic directly into it. However, you can put an external mic on the camera, and then feed the Ninja 2 with a stereo cable from the camera's headphone socket. Atomos told me there are no latency issues by doing it that way, and, looking at the photos of the menus, it appears you can adjust the audio by any number of frames anyway.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD