5DmkII now with 720P with magic lantern raw at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 15th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #1
Trustee

5DmkII now with 720P with magic lantern raw

Most of the video is shot in 1280x720 upscaled to 1920x1080. At the end are some chart tests to compare the rez of the different RAW video resolution with native h264.
Also some shots at 1880x720 and 1880x1080.

Old May 15th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 5DmkII now with 720P with magic lantern raw

Ted:

Wow, Magic Lantern has come a long way since early days when we first dared run that code on our cameras. I can remember Trammel's warning that we might end up with a brick.

So at this point, I would like to experiment with this and compare with my Black Magic camera. Not sure what version or where to get it. I am signed up with the ML and have 2.3, but I understand this is alpha, and would like to get some work in on it. How do I get into the Alpha stuff at this point.
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Trustee

Chris,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been a day sleeper lately. Do you currently have magic lantern in your 5d2? If so what version?
I'll fill you in on the module loading that's working in my camera once I know what ML version you have.

Everything is moving so fast over at ML forums, information is all over the place! I hope the dust settles soon.
Old May 16th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I am running the latest official version 2.1.2-ml-V2.3.
Old May 17th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

So am I right in thinking that the 1080/24p RAW Magic Lantern recording onto CF card is of much higher resolution and cleaner than the uncompressed HDMI output, due to bypassing the default poor down-sampling and processing done in camera ?

Anyone done any res chart shots yet ?

I have avoided DSLRs for HD video so far as they don't seem to be able to achieve a similar and clean sharpness as my EX3.
Stephen de Vere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Really very early in developments here. A lot of questions out there yet.

See Ted's video above. Some rez charts at end.
Old May 18th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for pointing out the res charts at the end. Maybe I'm not 'reading' them correctly but it doesn't look encouraging on the resolution front.

Maybe the 5D Mk3 is different. I had read that the 1080 ML RAW video looked as good as 1080 stills from the 5dMk3.
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Major Player

What is the advantage of upscaling if you are going to publish web video in a smaller window than your upscaled resolution?
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen de Vere View Post
Thanks for pointing out the res charts at the end. Maybe I'm not 'reading' them correctly but it doesn't look encouraging on the resolution front.

Maybe the 5D Mk3 is different. I had read that the 1080 ML RAW video looked as good as 1080 stills from the 5dMk3.
Hi Stephen,

Charts are charts, it is what it is. :) the 5d mkIII has more potential as it is, as for the 5D mkII which is what I have, I strongly recommend the mosaic filter with it for serious work other than cats and flowers. VAF is essential for the mkII weather its Magic lantern raw or h264.
Old May 19th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #10
Inner Circle

After adjusting frame rate, I am shooting 1000 frames of 720x 1280 on my old 133x cards without stopping. This at least provides zan idea as to how ML works so far. I will do some testing tomorrow. I also have a 32gig 1000x card coming.

Note that when you select that frame size you are actually cropping sensor image. ML provides a guide on screen for the a tual image area.
Old May 19th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola View Post
Hi Stephen,

Charts are charts, it is what it is. :) the 5d mkIII has more potential as it is, as for the 5D mkII which is what I have, I strongly recommend the mosaic filter with it for serious work other than cats and flowers. VAF is essential for the mkII weather its Magic lantern raw or h264.
Ted,
Thanks for that info - i now understand your test much better. I have much to learn about DSLR video on various cameras.

Do you know if the MKIII is different than MkII regarding built-in filter then ? Perhaps it is just that the slightly different resolution of the MkIII sensor easier to downscale to 1080 HD gives it a better edge video-wise ?
Old May 19th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #12
Trustee

Stephen,

in the mark III, canon addressed the problem of the moire and aliasing by putting in a more agressive OLPF effectively solving most of the moire and aliasing, BUT at the expense of sharpness for native h264 video. Users complained again, some users even went as far as removing parts of the filter in front of the sensor without much improvement.
The magic lantern raw hack however gives us dngs before h264 compression allowing both cameras to gain in detail and resolution. The mkIII has better results out of the box due to an aggressive OLPF, the mkII still retains its usuall aliasing and moire, which can be controlled by the mosaic VAF filter.

Ted

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD