Finally upgrading to 6d at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 6th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Finally upgrading to 6d

After owning t2i for almost 2 years. I am now getting my second camera: Canon 6d. Frankly I am not happy getting another camera cause I'm over the camera-hype. Any-who, what are the consensus and opinion on this camera?
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Finally upgrading to 6d

Victor,
Does it have a headphone jack?

I want a dslr with a headphone jack in that price range.
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Nguyen View Post
After owning t2i for almost 2 years. I am now getting my second camera: Canon 6d. Frankly I am not happy getting another camera cause I'm over the camera-hype. Any-who, what are the consensus and opinion on this camera?
My comments will be on its video capabilities, its aliasing and moire is much worse than the older 5D2. If you plan on getting it to shoot raw with magic lantern its not looking good due to sd card recording, ML devs currently have more success with CF speeds.
Also no headphone jack.

The best canon performer out there right now and best bang for buck is the 5D3.
Old June 7th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola View Post
My comments will be on its video capabilities, its aliasing and moire is much worse than the older 5D2. If you plan on getting it to shoot raw with magic lantern its not looking good due to sd card recording, ML devs currently have more success with CF speeds.
Also no headphone jack.

The best canon performer out there right now and best bang for buck is the 5D3.
Yeah... but I don't have money for that. Have anyone tried Raw recording with a top of the line Sandisk cards for the 6d?
Old June 10th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

My wife uses the 6D for her photography, and I recently used it in a film contest I was doing, because I needed good low light capabilities (which the 6D is very good at). Video is below, with a blog post about how it was made:

Bills Films Blog: Date Night with DoTERRA

I primarily use my GH2 for video work, but like I said, I really needed something that was better in low light. I know that the aliasing and moire are worse on the 6D than on the 5DII, but I didn't notice any in the video I shot above.

SB
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
It's very much like the rebel series (the T3i came out right ?after? it) with better lower ISO noise, more dynamic range (but not a huge amount) much better auto-focus; but NO flip out screen. Not sure how it would compare to the T5i, though.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Yeah... but I don't have money for that. Have anyone tried Raw recording with a top of the line Sandisk cards for the 6d?
Personally, if I were also made to choose what to get, and that the mkIII is not included in the option, and knowing what I know about current magic lantern developments, then I would probably get a slightly used or refurbished 5D mark II.

Currently, I have it with a VAF, and magic lantern, I can have more resolution from the raw video added by ML second in quality and resolution only to the mkIII.

The VAF had solved the aliasing and moire issues which is was bad. The 6D however is worse in aliasing and moire. adding the VAF to the 5D would still keep costs down. VAF is also available for 6D.

The ML implementation has really extended the usefulness of the mkII including audio monitoring, split audio channels with independent controls, fps, etc. so for me, the ability to integrate magic lantern well is a serious consideration in making a choice.

The SD data bus on cameras using sd cards is really a bottleneck that ML developers are having difficulty in overcoming. So far CF bus is faster in ML tests.

Here's a test done by planet5d comparing the 5d2,5d3,6d, to show how each handled moire and aliasing.
Old June 11th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #8
Major Player

It's interesting how the 5d mark 2 is still a great camera today.
Old June 11th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Trustee

Once we decided to go DSLR, the T3i (and now the T5i) and a gently used Mark ii were our direction as the best combo of price versus performance. And both tend to give good access to Magic Lantern updates.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
It's interesting how the 5d mark 2 is still a great camera today.
I was just at Best Buy thinking of buying one of their t5i bundles (t5 w/18-135mm + extra Canon 55-250mm) for 1249.98 (no sales tax here in Oregon either). They had the 5D Mark II for $1899 (body only). Which was sorely tempting, even though I'd have to buy a lens. $2000 cheaper than the Mark III.

Since I don't do freelance full time any more I'm not sure I can justify buying a Mark III, but that Mark II..hmm.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #11
Trustee

@ Jeremiah,

I think Victor already bought the 6D. :)

If you're tempted by the 5D2 and plan to use it for video more than stills, seriously consider factoring in the cost of a VAF. Otherwise, brickhouses and pinstripe suits will give you nightmares. :)

Here's how better your 5D2 will become with it.

Old June 11th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I upgraded all 3 of my T3i to 6D. The low light is amazing. Check this out. It is filming at P mode ISO 12800

The Moire doesn't bother me at all. It's about the same on 5D2.

This is a Same Day Edit I did with 6D

Old June 12th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #13
Major Player

I just switched from a 5D2 to a 6D... The moire and aliasing seem identical, as does the resolution and dynamic range. However, there is a tremendous advantage to the 6D in low-light performance and noise. The 6D is on par with the mark III in low-light performance.

The decision ultimately depends on what you shoot. I don't shoot brick walls or fine pattern textiles and frequently film ENG-style at night, so the 6D is a big upgrade. The ergonomics are a bit strange and there is no Kelvin adjust button, which baffles me. However, Magic Lantern has a push-button auto white balance and manual Kelvin adjust, which both work awesome.

Also, the 6D has built-in wifi, but the wifi is disabled in video mode. So there is no remote viewing or triggering the video. Works great for stills or timelapse though.
Old June 21st, 2013, 01:31 PM   #14
Major Player

somewhat noob here. what is VAF?
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 02:09 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Mosaic Engineering makes VAFs...

HDSLR Video Aliasing / Moiré Filters (VAF)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD