"UltimateContrast" My new 5d mark III picture style at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 12th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

"UltimateContrast" My new 5d mark III picture style

The first thing I realized when I upgraded to the 5D mark III was that my older picture styles were not behaving the same way they did in the mark II. After months and months of tweaking, testing, tweaking, starting over, etc... I'm finally happy with my new picture style. The idea is to get a nice image that you can use straight out of camera, but also very tweakable in post. It's designed to squeeze out every last ounce of detail from the shadows without the ugly desaturation that usually comes with it, or turning the image milky by losing too much contrast. It also helps skin tones remain nicely exposed. I finally added a smooth rolloff to the highlights to make gradients all the way to white as smooth as possible. It took a lot of testing in many different scenarios for months to reach the final stage. I hope someone finds it useful. :)
Attached Files
File Type: zip UltimateContrast.zip (2.0 KB, 276 views)
Luis de la Cerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: "UltimateContrast" My new 5d mark III picture style

Luis, thanks for posting the ps. I will have to try it this weekend.

David A
Dave Ande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Major Player

I tried looking at it, but the file type was one my Mac didn't recognize.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You have to load it into your camera using EOS utility. I made it non editable to avoid having someone modify it in picture style editor, saving it and accidentally ending up with a messed up version of it on their camera. This means it can't be opened using picture style editor. I'll post an editable next week under a different name to avoid this, opening up the possibility of further tweaking to anyone interested at the same time. :-)
Old June 17th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

There goes the editable version.
Attached Files
File Type: zip EditableUC.zip (1.9 KB, 141 views)
Old June 17th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Sorry. I don't even know what a .pf2 file is. When I Googled it, it showed a somewhat complex way to use Canon's Digital Photo Professional to get the file into the camera. I was thinking you were just going to provide a list of the settings you dialed in on one of the custom picture styles. Thanks, anyway.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD