Mounting a Canon 70-200mm ii lens on a 5d Mark 3 Rig... do I need a lens support? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 21st, 2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mounting a Canon 70-200mm ii lens on a 5d Mark 3 Rig... do I need a lens support?

I'm planning on mounting my Canon 70-200mm ii lens on a 5d mark 3 but will not be able to use the tripod mount on my rig as it would slide too far back when it it shoulder mounted, thus colliding with my Zacuto Shoulder Pad.

Is the mount on the 5d Mark 3 strong enough to take the stress of this lens without the mounted tripod support? If not, does anyone have any recommendations for a lens support? The baseplate I am using is this one: DSLR Baseplate
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Mounting a Canon 70-200mm ii lens on a 5d Mark 3 Rig... do I need a lens support?

I use my 70-200 all the time without lens support on my 5D. Maybe I've been lucky. It's better to mount on the tripod mount on the lens, but you don't have to. It certainly balances better as a still camera using the lens based tripod mount.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: Mounting a Canon 70-200mm ii lens on a 5d Mark 3 Rig... do I need a lens support?

This is kind of old but I use the 70-200 f4 IS with a 1,4x extender without the tripod mount all the time without any problems.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #4
Major Player

The Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM is heavier than the 70-200 f4 IS version. The EF mount is strong. However, even a small vibration in front of the lens will ruin the footage due to the combination of weight and length of the lens and less weight of the camera.

If you mount the camera, due to the weight and length of the lens, there would be more pressure on the camera mount.

I use this lens with often a 2xII TC and mount with the collar while shooting with 1D Mark IV. However, with the C300 I mount the camera on the tripod and place the lens on it, free without any rigs. Same is the case with the 100-400 lens.

I have got the 5D III recently to act as another backup camera. It is small and the weight is also less. So I will mount the lens and then place the camera on it.

For still shooters, who know RRS, this is one interesting plate for mounting camera and long lenses: Kennan Ward Super-Tele Package - KennanWardPkg - Kit Configuration Page

One can make slight variations as well

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD