I think I buying one today at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 1st, 2013, 07:17 AM   #1
Major Player

I think I buying one today

After much research and comparing different video shoot-outs, I've decided to get the 5D3. I have two questions has anybody heard of Galaxy Cameras.

Could someone recommended a lens for this kinda shooting.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: I think I buying one today

Never heard of that shop, but the kit 24-105 that comes with the 5D3 would have you covered in that shoot easily. I was really worried about the f4 aperture and it not being fast enough, but the ISO on the 5D3 is simply amazing. I have gone up to 3200 and it's better than 1250 on my 7D.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Jerry...... good to know. Galaxy Camera has a 5d3 for $2200 thought it might be too good to be true.

GalaxyCameras.com
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Major Player

That's one of those things if it seems to be "to good to be true, it probably is" I buy at B&H and guaranteed to be worry free. They aren't the cheapest, but if somethings not right, they fix it FAST. Just to much money for me to gamble.
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Wrangler

Moderator Note:

DVi advertisers and sponsors are top-tier companies that are individually vetted. Naturally, we recommend that you do business with them; and conversely we ask folks to avoid generating discussion of those who don't support us.

Here is a list of DVi sponsors:
Sponsors at DV Info Net

Thanks for your understanding.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Austinite

I sell cameras and am a DVinfo sponsor. I often send people this link when they ask about low prices that they see online:

Brooklyn Camera/Electronic Dealer StoreFronts

The photographer went around taking photos of locations matching addresses connected to various websites.

Be safe.
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 09:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Oh my God!
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Major Player

Oh and I bought my PMW-200's from Omega, Phil's company and was very happy with their service as well!!!
Old November 1st, 2013, 11:09 AM   #9
Major Player

Don't buy from any dealer. Buy only from reputed ones so that you get the proper goods as well as service. And I see the good ones are sponsors of this site.

Even though I am based out of India, I do a lot of purchases from B&H every year, and have been doing it for many many years. Can't praise them enough. They are prompt and have been very helpful. I love their policies as well. In this age when people do anything for money, they maintain holidays according to their faith. I am very happy with them.
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Porter View Post
Oh and I bought my PMW-200's from Omega, Phil's company and was very happy with their service as well!!!
Dang, Phil should have provided a link to his business I would have bought it form him...... I feel a little bad now, I like to give business to the smaller companies.

I ended up getting it from B&H the body and lens kit. This has been a fun filled week of research.....

I do have one burning question about the 5dr iii....... can you zoom in and out in video mode?
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:55 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
Don't buy from any dealer. Buy only from reputed ones so that you get the proper goods as well as service. And I see the good ones are sponsors of this site.

Even though I am based out of India, I do a lot of purchases from B&H every year, and have been doing it for many many years. Can't praise them enough. They are prompt and have been very helpful. I love their policies as well. In this age when people do anything for money, they maintain holidays according to their faith. I am very happy with them.
Yea got it from B&H today. BTW, I go to India every year for the past 6 years,,,,,, I'll be there again this coming Febuary....... I love it there!
Old November 1st, 2013, 02:01 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
...... can you zoom in and out in video mode?
You can if you have a parfocal lens. The 24-105 is NOT parfocal. Do some research and you will find the ones that are. I don't worry about it as I rarely do that kind of move and if I need to I'm usually shooting with my PMW-200.
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:00 PM   #13
Major Player

Regarding zooming: I don't do it very often because in my mind it tends to be distracting. But when I do I just use the Ken Burns feature in Final Cut Pro X, or the crop feature in Photoshop for stills. Those, combined with quality lenses like the 24-105L, are much smoother than mechanical video zooms, and I'm oftentimes amazed at how the images hold up in stills. Plus, if I need a little wider shot, I've still got it. Another lens that's awesome for this is the Canon 70-200mm L.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:06 PM   #14
Major Player

the 70-200 f4 L IS is my GO TO LENS. Don't need the 2.8 with the 5D3. ISO on this this is CRAZY good.
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:41 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Newcomb View Post
Regarding zooming: I don't do it very often because in my mind it tends to be distracting. But when I do I just use the Ken Burns feature in Final Cut Pro X, or the crop feature in Photoshop for stills. Those, combined with quality lenses like the 24-105L, are much smoother than mechanical video zooms, and I'm oftentimes amazed at how the images hold up in stills. Plus, if I need a little wider shot, I've still got it. Another lens that's awesome for this is the Canon 70-200mm L.
Charles that's an excellent idea thanks!

That's a very expensive lens! I need something more like a portrait lens as I what to shoot a guitarist with a good DOF, a friend mentioned I need a 50 mm lens. Also I want to film my workshop as I'm making guitars and the space is rather small. As good as that lens is I don't think I'll need a bigger zoom, unless I'm not understanding this. I'm very new to camera lens and photography beyond simple point and shoot.

I had justified this purchase by selling my beloved XH-A1/Letus but it looks like I should keep it around. Although it seems like it would be difficult integrating the 5d3 and the A1 in the same video.

Having two or three 5d3's is rather expensive...... although I guess I could sell the A1 and get a back up 5d2 on ebay or something.

The problem is shooting video from different angles in one live performance.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD