Mounting a small monitor / evf to 5D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 6th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mounting a small monitor / evf to 5D

I'm thinking of getting either a zacuto evf or a small monitor (less than 7'') for my 5d3.

How are most of you mounting them onto your DSLRs? Assuming I do not wish to use the hotshoe mount than comes with most monitors, is there a simple way of mounting?
For the events I do, I would rather not bulk up the camera too much with rails, but i am not against it if need be. The wooden camera medium cage seems quite nice, anyone has expereince with that?
I need it to be sturdy and be able to easily go from tripod to glidecam without much fuss.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Again, I'm not opposed to rails if need be, but Ideally under $300... though i can go higher if need be (~$500-700?). Again, I'm not opposed to rails if need be, but preferably under $500.
Thanks!

Last edited by Donald Ong; November 6th, 2013 at 06:16 AM.
Donald Ong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Mounting a small monitor / evf to 5D

Donald, I purchased a IndiPro tools 5" monitor this past March for my 5DM3. It's not a bad monitor for the price. The resolution is only 800x480, but it has built in peaking and several other features. I bought it at B&H for around $225.00 I've also attached this monitor to my C100 at times. You can also get it with a Canon battery mount. I believe this monitor is the same as the Ikan VL5 monitor. I had a cheaper 7" monitor, but it was too big for the camera IMHO.

David
Dave Ande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Quick note: Placing a monitor on there while flying a glidecam might be iffy.
Old November 8th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I was actually looking more for mounting solutions. would a cage setup or rail system be better?

Also, anyone has experience with this monitor?
Marshall Electronics - V-LCD51 5" Small 800 x 480 Camera-Top / Portable Field Monitor with HDMI
Marshall V-LCD51
Old November 8th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Just a thought.. I spent a lot of dough on a smallHD 5" monitor, which is pretty great with super handy features. BUT, I leave it in the bag. I find it makes the 5D unwieldy, set up time and battery changing is easy but just adds more concerns and potential complications. I installed Magic lantern and find the 5D lcd fine for focusing and exposure. I can even rack focus.
I will keep the monitor, though, for studio work and more controlled shoots...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

It's expensive but I think the Edelkrone system is my favorite. It starts with the handstrap that uses the strength of your arm to stabilize and hold the camera forward of the sensor plane instead of the still photo squeeze by the side approach. I also prefer it over handles of a rail system. The Edelkrone design puts the SmallHD with it's flip up loupe on an outrigger at the right spot to the side and forward to back. It's all based on well understood ergonomics from decades of work refining the camera-man-machine interface. YMMV
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Donald,
I've tried different mounting points using an arm, a bracket for my tripod and monopod handle, hotshoe, and for me I found the hotshot worked best.

Like Brian mentioned I've spent money on different monitors an I really don'tuseitas much as I thought I would. I've also added color bars to my5DM3 so that I could calibrate the IndiPro and I still don't use it that much. I shot a wedding this past September and I had the 5D on a tripod and after I had everything focused and framed, I didn't use it again that day.

David
Old November 9th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I want a monitor mostly because I'm a tad tired of guestimating my focus during longer takes for stage events where i can't stop the recording to use the focus magnification.

Btw, will the 5D3's hdmi out with firmware 1.2.1 be clean enough to fill up the whole 5'' lcd51 monitor? Or would any other monitor be better for this?
Old November 11th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Donald, I have 1.2.1 installed and I'm able to output the same thing I see on the lcd of the camera. My 5" has native 5D Canon live output. I've also added color bars to my 5D so that I can calibrate the monitor. I have included a pic of a framed shot. I looked at the monitor that you're referring to, but I didn't want to spend the additional $$ since the resolution was 800x480.
Attached Thumbnails
Mounting a small monitor / evf to 5D-img_4052.jpg  
Old November 12th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #10
Major Player

I don’t use the hotshoe, I use my 5D3 for stills too and I’m scared to break the mount and lose connection with the flash. I made a half cage that I attach monitor, H1, wireless receiver or mic. I got 5 holes where I can attach coldshoe or screw direct though to the gadget.

I always got a Elderkrone pocketrig on my camera and the half cage is attached to the short rails on the rig. It’s a net rig and easy to use if you like follow focus (wish I did before but don’t use any more).

I use the monitor most for the reason to not over heat the camera during long shots indoors. Or if I got a producer that what’s to see what I’m shooting. I just don’t like the mini HDMI connection, it’s too loose and some time I lose the image (that the reason I don’t believe in the Ninja 2 solution).

Last edited by Markus Nord; November 12th, 2013 at 04:08 AM.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ande View Post
Donald, I have 1.2.1 installed and I'm able to output the same thing I see on the lcd of the camera. My 5" has native 5D Canon live output. I've also added color bars to my 5D so that I can calibrate the monitor. I have included a pic of a framed shot. I looked at the monitor that you're referring to, but I didn't want to spend the additional $$ since the resolution was 800x480.
Does the output shrink when you hit record?

Markus: I'm looking at the wooden camera quick cage (medium) and cheese handle bar. It looks like quite a nice solution with plenty of mounting holes. Does anyone use that?
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Ong View Post
Does the output shrink when you hit record?
on the 5DIII the output don't shrink, that was a "problem" on 5DII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Ong View Post
Markus: I'm looking at the wooden camera quick cage (medium) and cheese handle bar. It looks like quite a nice solution with plenty of mounting holes. Does anyone use that?
it looks like a nice solution, I have not used any wooden camera gear. But one thing that have really been good with a cage is that it have saved my camera and connections a few times.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:53 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Nord View Post
on the 5DIII the output don't shrink, that was a "problem" on 5DII.

it looks like a nice solution, I have not used any wooden camera gear. But one thing that have really been good with a cage is that it have saved my camera and connections a few times.
I see, thanks for confirming that. Really important to me that the image doesn't shrink!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD