Right time to purchase 5d MK iii ? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 8th, 2014, 10:50 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Right time to purchase 5d MK iii ?

Just providing constructive feedback, nothing wrong with that, only isn't calling people "panny lovers" a bit condescending? Try to be a bit more respectful, makes this a nicer place. If you would show me some of your work and if it's really good, it's not because of the camera, it's because of you, if it's mediocre or bad it's also because of you, gear is not a replacement for talent, something your clients will see as well.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I don't see any reason of complaining that canon lenses wont fit just because you happen to own one, I wouldn't complain that my m4/3 lenses won't fit a sony camera because I choose a system and stick with it.
One other misconstrued thing you've said. I never said Canon Glass won't fit, I said you have to use clumsy adaptors. If you would like more info on this, here is a video from B&H I watched yesterday in which the Panny rep. says fitting most lens with adaptors on the GH4 is no problem "except" Canon glass is a little more difficult. He says this about half way through the video.

Yes, I agree stick with one system.

Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 11:07 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Just providing constructive feedback, nothing wrong with that, only isn't calling people "panny lovers" a bit condescending? Try to be a bit more respectful, makes this a nicer place. If you would show me some of your work and if it's really good, it's not because of the camera, it's because of you, if it's mediocre or bad it's also because of you, gear is not a replacement for talent, something your clients will see as well.
From my point of view there is nothing you have said that is constructive, I've spent most of my time correcting your reading comprehension skills, perhaps English isn't your first language and I understand that.

Panny-lovers call themselves Panny-lovers, my god man! You are overly sensitive, or you are just looking for trouble!

I'm not respectful?....... it's getting old. There is not one post in which you have not included a condescending remark towards me.
Old June 8th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #34
Inner Circle

All my lenses fit and work perfectly on my Panasonic, I mentioned in the beginning of this thread this could be an issue when switching brands, I know that my investment in 4/3 glass also has locked me into that system but I don't mind because it works for me. I actually sold my Sony camera's and sony glass to move into the m4/3 system and that is what the TS should keep in mind when moving from Canon to Panasonic. Also I"m done talking here, your comments and attitude lead nowhere.
Old June 8th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #35
Major Player

Well that's basically what I have been saying.
Old June 8th, 2014, 11:53 AM   #36
Major Player

BTW, I had a look at your videos, and they are very very nice, I'm in awe! I don't think I can compete with you. I'm not a professional film maker (yet).

I just bought a Shark slider a month or so ago so things are gradually improving. Im a guitar maker by trade, and have an interest in audio as well to show case my guitars. When I do a video of me working in the shop unfortunately I'm rather limited by a one man operation. I can't do all the cool silder shots and out of focus stuff I would like.

I'm editing a recent trip to Thailand but the theme is pretty lame because I hot swapped my hard rive with all the good footage and it went kaput! Nothing special just my first attempt learning the ropes of FC-X.

I'm shooting a video tomorrow in church in Cerrilios NM of a world class, classical guitarist playing some Bach, this will be the first for me outside my home..... and yes, I'm quite nervous about it , wish me luck!

Here are two of the most recent videos I did. They were shot on the 24-105 f4....... I guess my real claim to fame is that the guitarist Rapheal Andia is playing one of my guitars.

Audio interface Metric Halo ULN-2 and Oktavia mics modified by Michael Jolly, and fitted with MJE-K47H capsules.
Old June 8th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
Ramji, since you sold your 5Dii, you probably need something fast, but, for those of us heavily invested in Canon glass, I would just hang in there until Canon releases the 5D mark IV. I'm sure it will kick the GH4's butt! ...... patience is a virtue well worth waiting for!
I would not recommend waiting for this to happen. Canon showed us with the 5D MKIII that DSLR video takes a back seat to the Cinema line. This means they will never product a DSLR with video capabilities that outshine the lowest of the C-series lineup. So until a C250 shows up with 4k I would not expect a "killer" 5DMKIV from a video perspective.

As I alluded to this before, when it all gets distilled down, my opinion is that 5D MKIII RAW video looks the best unless you need to deliver in 4k or need 1080p60. Yes, you need some beefy CF cards and more post work but the images are downright amazing if handled properly. All for the cost of some CF cards.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
I would not recommend waiting for this to happen. Canon showed us with the 5D MKIII that DSLR video takes a back seat to the Cinema line. This means they will never product a DSLR with video capabilities that outshine the lowest of the C-series lineup. So until a C250 shows up with 4k I would not expect a "killer" 5DMKIV from a video perspective.

As I alluded to this before, when it all gets distilled down, my opinion is that 5D MKIII RAW video looks the best unless you need to deliver in 4k or need 1080p60. Yes, you need some beefy CF cards and more post work but the images are downright amazing if handled properly. All for the cost of some CF cards.
I take your word for it, I'm not knowledgeable about this. I just thought it was a logical progression in the direction of the 5D3.

I love the raw video from the 5D3, but I'm a little afraid to download ML and risk turning my camera into a brick..... I'll gradually work up the courage.
Old June 9th, 2014, 09:24 AM   #39
Inner Circle

It took me a long time to decide to install it. I was waiting for the ability to uninstall ML completely without leaving anything behind. This came in March of this year. Once you install it you realize it is not that big of a deal. It just sit along side your main camera menus.
Old June 9th, 2014, 10:52 PM   #40
Major Player

Tim, maybe when the time comes I'll ask you to hold my hand..... ha ha. It will happen , but not while Mercury is in retrograde.
Old June 10th, 2014, 08:20 AM   #41
Inner Circle

It does take some research to become confident. Which can be difficult as the ML website is kind of crazy.
Old June 11th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #42
Major Player

There are a few videos on youtube on how to install magic lantern, it looks pretty straight forward.
Old June 11th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Lelli View Post
GH4 , absolutely

you get better clips , plus you could adapt the lenses that you have now, also you get a real lanc-like remote (with 2 pana servo zoom). But mainly for the quality (and that's the only reason for a non-camcorder, isn't it?)
I wouldn't worry too much about the less bokeh, since I firmly believe that this bokeh-mania is about to end. (it was a good ride for a year but now it's time to put the bokeh where it belongs, for full zoom only: if done for everything can be distracting and annoying: real life doesn't have bokeh... fiction does, but fiction after a while gets boring).
Perhaps you have a healthy dislike for Bokeh due to these rather mindless so-called film makers who get a 5D and go on Vimeo and post non-stop videos of flowers going in and out of focus, graded with Davinci Resolve. With the onslaught of film makers due to the DSLR revolution and democratization, there naturally will be an increase in mediocrity.

Everyone is a film maker these days but not everyone is an artist. It's like composing music in "Garageband" anyone can do it and you don't need to understand a note of it.

Lets face it, film without out Bokeh is flat and boring! Watch the masters do it, not the amateurs. I fell in love with the 5D image, so far I've yet to fall in love with the GH4....... she leaves me a little cold. It's like a girl with fake boobs, it kinda grabs your attention, but when you investigate it's a little weird.

I think the GH4 could work well in conduction with the 5D3. you don't need bokeh on panoramic landscapes.

Yes, if you have a GH4 as the saying goes "if you have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" yes. you will not use Bokeh. Then after 3 or 4 years the pendulum will swing and people will go back to the creamy look of film, instead of digitized sharpness.
Old June 12th, 2014, 03:56 AM   #44
Inner Circle

You can get nice looking bokeh shots on the gh4 as well, I can push a background totally out of focus on my 75mm f1.8 Olympus lens and on my 12mm f2.0 or my 25mm f1.4 lens if I shoot subjects on a closer distance, even my rx10 at f2.8 and zoomed in just enough can give me a nice looking blurred background.

I only can't get a "move 1 inch" and I lost my focus kind of shot, I see many focusing issues on especially wedding videos and in about any case a 5D is involved, focussing can be very challenging on a full frame camera if you shoot wide open with fast primes and it takes some careful setting up and a skilled operator to nail the focus on each shot. I"m also with Anthony that that extreme shallow dof has had it's time, it can enhance certain shots but it's like shooting with a fisheye, it's looks fun for one shot but gets distracting if you use it on all shots. That's the main advantage of m4/3 camera's, not taking resolution into account, that you can get shallow dof but it will be much more manageable while having the advantage of shooting wide open.

F1.4 is the same on a full frame or m4/3 camera in terms of light gathering, only the shallow dof will be different, with the 5D the person would only have to sneeze and they will be out of focus, something to consider when going full frame if you are doing run and gun work.
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:25 AM   #45
Major Player

Just don't use 1.2 primes. I never bought one for that very reason. You take a photo of someones face, their nose is in focus and their ear is not. Looks weird and un-natural..... if you don't use it wide open what's the point of having a 50mm f/1.2? Very limited lens, and very expensive.

So now that the GH4 is out, bokeh is out too? ha ha! Over done perhaps but, bokeh will be with us forever. I guess next we'll be hearing low light capability is a thing of the past as well, because the GH4 isn't as good as the 5D's. I expect with the GH4 we'll just be seeing a lot more landscapes..... ha ha!

I see trends with big Hollywood movies like the greenish tints, very dark scenes etc. these will come and go. Your average person likes realism..... film makers like creativity, always looking to push some kinda effect.

In the end it all comes down to content. Bokeha or no bokea is an argument for amateur film makers, true artists use whatever they need to express their intentions.

You don't see bokea all that much in big production films, because those films usually have some content, but man! It's all over Vimeo! With a little money for cameras and lens any ape can do bokeh and they do! Not all of us apes can write a good screen play, or make a good documentary.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD