Magic Lantern workflow question as of 03/2015 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 10th, 2015, 09:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Magic Lantern workflow question as of 03/2015

Hello community,

I had a question about the current Magic Lantern raw workflow as of 03/2015. I have looked this up online and spent quite a bit searching for answers, but as the hack is always changing, its hard to pinpoint what the current workflow is. My current understanding is that you shoot raw in either a .mlv or .raw file, and then you convert that file to something editable. My questions are as follows:

1). Upon converting the .mlv or .raw files, can you use rawmagic and/or son of a batch to do this?
2). After converting, do you have to convert straight to cinemaDNG, or can you convert straight to prores or DNxHD?
3). If you convert to cinemaDNG, is the cinemaDNG clip one file, or is each clip a single folder that contains a bunch of dng frame grabs that have to again be processed?
4). Is cinemaDNG essentialy the same thing as raw, and if so, is it OK to delete the .mlv and/or .raw originals to save space?
5). Are dropped frames still an issue when using a super fast 1066x card?

Sorry for the flurry of questions! I just want to make sure I know what I am getting my self into before making any purchasing decisions.

Thank you!
Omar
Omar Nabulsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Magic Lantern workflow question as of 03/2015

Omar,

I think I've answered the questions for you below. I started shooting Raw on my 5DM3 and EOSM this past summer. I really like what you can do with the files.

1). Upon converting the .mlv or .raw files, can you use rawmagic and/or son of a batch to do this?

You can use Raw Magic Lite to convert .raw files and Raw Magic will convert both .mlv and .raw files.

2). After converting, do you have to convert straight to cinemaDNG, or can you convert straight to prores or DNxHD?

When Raw Magic does the conversion, the files are converted as cinemaDNG

3). If you convert to cinemaDNG, is the cinemaDNG clip one file, or is each clip a single folder that contains a bunch of dng frame grabs that have to again be processed?

When I convert 1 clip, a folder is created with a bunch of DNG files. Each clip will have it’s own folder with DNG files. Once they are converted I will bring them into Davinci Resolve lite. The only other conversion will be when you go to export as a ProRes file, if you decide to roundtrip back and forth from Resolve to FCPx, or Resolve to Premier.

4). Is cinemaDNG essentialy the same thing as raw, and if so, is it OK to delete the .mlv and/or .raw originals to save space?

From what I’ve read, cinemaDNG files are raw. Please keep in mind that I am no expert, so if I’m wrong, someone out there please free to chime in. Depending on what I shoot, I don’t like to delete my mlv or .raw files just in case I need them in the future.

5). Are dropped frames still an issue when using a super fast 1066x card?

I think I had 1 drop frame issue when I was shooting my nephews wedding and the only reason was due to I ran out of memory on my Kumputer bay 64GB card.

I've provided two links to a comparison shot that I shot at my nephews wedding.

David A

Dave Ande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Magic Lantern workflow question as of 03/2015

Thanks Dave! That helps a lot! Very much appreciate it.
Omar Nabulsi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD