85mm f/1.4 IS lens - real or fake? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 13th, 2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Inner Circle

85mm f/1.4 IS lens - real or fake?

There is a rumor that Canon will release an 85mm EOS lens with an f/1.4 aperture and Image stabilization.

[NOTE: This is a rumor only. Do not assume that it's true. But it's interesting food for thought.]

I've long been disappointed with the available 85mm lenses...

I used to have the 85/1.8, which was quick, inexpensive, small and light. But it didn't have IS (and IS becomes more and more important at higher focal lengths.) The focus ring was wobbly and had a short throw. (Similarly, a good focus ring becomes important at higher focal lengths.) Also, I found the images to be a bit "milky". I sold it.

At work, I have a Zeiss 85/1.4. It has a great focus ring and makes beautiful pictures (though it has strong vignetting.) But there is no IS and no auto-focus. I once tried taking close up photos of some squirmy kids with this lens - not one was in focus. It's great for manual focus video on a good support system, aside from the vignetting.

Canon's 85/1.2L is fast as can be. I've never used it, but the focus by wire makes it problematic for video. It has AF but not IS. It's heavy and not cheap.

There are other 3rd party lenses out there, but it seems that one either gets good manual focusing or AF with poor manual focusing.

The 70-200/2.8L IS covers the 85mm focal length and has IS and AF. Great lens. You give up some speed and this lens is very large and conspicuous.

I use the 100/2.8L IS Macro. It's not exactly 85mm, but close enough. It's not fast enough for really low light. But it has AF and IS and is of reasonable size, weight, and price. And it can get extreme closeups. There is little vignetting. The focus throw is good and the ring is solid. About the only downside is the lack of speed, which also means that you can't do extreme shallow DOF for portraits.

Anyway, I hope that the rumor is true. An 85/1.4L IS could be a "grail" lens. (Or it might just be vaporware.)
Old March 17th, 2017, 05:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: 85mm f/1.4 IS lens - real or fake?

I haven't seen that rumor. It seems weird that they would release something like that so soon after the new 85mm 1.2L II lens. (which consequently has a much better AF speed than the first version).

There is also the new 85mm Sigma ART 1.4 lens that I have been considering.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 11:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I had forgotten about the Canon 85/1.2L II update. Focus is faster, but it's still focus by wire.

Yeah, an 85/1.4L IS would likely crowd into the same price range. But it might be a different use case. The f/1.2 might be narrowly targeted at portraits, while an f/1.4 IS might be better for video and general use. For instance, it would be killer for dark cathedral shots where tripods aren't allowed.

But as mentioned earlier, it's just a rumor, and you can't take pictures with rumors.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 11:18 AM   #4
New Boot

All i know from my lens, is that it makes noise and also when i turn the camera off and change the lens, I hear a strange woboling sound.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 03:29 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

The wobbling sound is simply the inert IS mechanism with the power off. It's normal.

The Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS is a superb lens, in some ways superior to the (non-IS) EF 85mm f/1.2L, and it's less expensive as well.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2019, 03:44 PM   #6
Trustee

Jon - life isn’t necessarily easy. I’ve been going though decisions like this a lot lately. Actually, looking back, it seems like forever.

Your post about a f/1.4 and f/1.2 lens brings back a decision I made that to this day I still regret. And this was back around 1966 or ’67. I gave up on a Yashika SLR and got a Nikon with numerous accessories. The big decision was between the f1.2 vs the f1.4 lens, and I went for the f1.4. Regretted that ever since. Even to this day and I don’t even have the camera anymore!

The f1.2 had a flat field and the f1.4 didn’t. Still have the 4-track bellows (and a slide copier) but never used it because of the f1.4 lens curved field problem. Okay, that’s an aside. Had to get it out of the way. Sad memories.

Back to decisions. One thing I’ve come to find out abut lenses is more elements is not necessarily good. A heavier lens (that has more glass) is not necessarily good. (Not good depending on what one wants to get out of it.)

Don’t know what you call it, some call it bokeh but I think that is supposed to be about a blurred depth of field, but I’m talking about the color in the picture being more alive (for lack of a better word) or having more of a pop to it. As a rule-of-thumb, the less glass and fewer elements there are tends to improve the “pop” of the image, as in a prime lens. That is what I would like and, due to my decision making, I still don’t have it. I keep thinking about the JVC LS300 with a prime lens.

Part of the decision making comes down to compromise. How much does it cost, how often will it get used, and how bad does one need it? How bad will one feel if you don’t get that shot? Another part of the decision is one only goes around once in this life. And, as Cher (of Sonny and Cher fame) said: “Money is meant to be kept in circulation.”

Another thought, speaking of bucket lists, it’s been said you’ll regret more the things you didn’t do than the one’s you did.

A few points here”
1. Don’t make the mistake I did,
2. Another lens makes the cam/camera more versatile (incremental cost),
3. If you dwell on it too long, you’ll miss all those good shots you wish you could have got.
or, …
4. Like the song says “Love the one you’re with”, or was that “Love the lens you got”?

I know this doesn't help with the the rumor but it’s a slow day here.
Been considering an Atomos monitor myself, but .... decisions, decisions.

Last edited by John Nantz; February 3rd, 2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling correction
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2019, 08:31 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
I know this doesn't help with the the rumor...
Just to clarify, it's no longer a rumor. Jon's original post is almost two years old and the Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS was indeed announced for real back in Aug. 2017.

The lens is available at https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1354803-REG/canon_ef_85mm_f_1_4l_is.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

You make some excellent points John (as usual), however I would like to reiterate that I have used both lenses (the Canon 85 f/1.2L and f/1.4L IS) and in my opinion, the 1.4 with stabilisation is the better choice between the two, plus it's $300 less expensive.

Both are fine lenses though, and neither will disappoint. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD