rca to bnc adapter. whats it for? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 15th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #1
Tourist

rca to bnc adapter. whats it for?

i got a gl2 as a gift from a good friend, who died just 1 day after giving it to me. he wanted me to start making my video deams come true. now that he is dead, i am on my own. i got the ma-300 so that i can use xlr mics. the bnc adapter , i dont know what it is for, i ran the av out from the camera with a rca line to the adapter rca input, then i ran the bnc cable out to the back of my t.v. but i got no video. am i doing it right?
Ricardo Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #2
Major Player

According to:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/760199072

the BNC connector on the MA-300 is for video input only.

You need to use the camera's video out...
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Major Player

I doubt your tv has a bnc connection. They are used for inputting into a professional monitor. You go RCA out of your camera into the bnc in on your monitor. If you're just going to a regular tv the RCA to RCA cable is fine.
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #4
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F Miller View Post
According to:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/760199072

the BNC connector on the MA-300 is for video input only.

You need to use the camera's video out...
The ma-300 says "video- RCA/ in- bnc/ out"
a man at radioshack told me to install a bnc female end to a rg-62 cable and run it to my t.v.
are t.v.'s and pro bnc monitors different?
Ricardo Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #5
Major Player

are t.v.'s and pro bnc monitors different?

Yes they are, tv's have rca, s-video and rf inputs. HD tv's also have hdmi inputs. Professional monitors have BNC inputs. If you are inputting into a standard def tv just use the RCA cables.
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
t.v.'s and pro bnc monitors different?
Very different. TVs tend to have a lot of automation and often to make an image look "pretty" even if it isn't. A pro monitor gives you a look at what the image really is, without the benefit of whatever processing is going on in the TV, and they give a consistent, repeatable result you can us to evaluate the image. They also have other features related to calibration of the image and ability to view overscan areas not found in TV sets. And pro monitors typically do not include a TV tuner.

BNC is a high quality (and costly) connector designed to provide a secure, reliable, constant impedance connection. On the other hand, RCA connector was designed mainly to be low cost and easy to use for consumer applications. RCA connectors evolved out of consumer audio applicaions and BNC evolved out of radio frequency communications applicaitons. Both will work for video signals.

Pro gear uses BNC mainly for reasons of reliability and security (e.g., the bayonet locking prevents accidental disconnection) which is more important in pro gear than the first cost savings.

You can find adapters at Radio Shack and other electroncis suppliers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders