Low Light Problem - True with GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 7th, 2003, 12:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Low Light Problem - True with GL2

Ok' I went out with the Camera to a club last night for a promoter. The settings I played with in manual mode were :

30 shutter ( sometimes 15 to make it better )
16-18 gain/db
1.6 / 1.8 F

Shot in movie mode : frame as it seemed to work better for lighting.

It was hard to get very much at all. If there are any suggestions, Please advise. It was a dry run before next weekend that is the "REEL" deal.
Old June 7th, 2003, 12:27 PM   #2
Outer Circle

There's not much else you can do to improve the LUX requirements, other than to buy a good onboard external light.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 12:51 PM   #3
High School Student

Yeah. There's not much you can do but get a oncamera light or tell them to turn on some lights there.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 12:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Recomendation for lights?

I bought the Blinding piece of barely usable light VL-10Li Battery Video Light. Is there anything else out there that woul dbe suitable for these sorts of gatherings where I wouldnt upset a persons evening?
Old June 7th, 2003, 01:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

nope

there really isn't anything you can do other than what was mentioned. You can buy a different camera (but the difference isn't going to be earth shattering) or you can add more light. when you see shots of a dance club on TV or in the movies, you can bet there are huge lights all around lighting the set "just so" to make it look dark and dingy. If you simply take a video camera into a dark club and expect to get good footage, it just won't work. The small on-board light you added will be good for "interview" closeups but not for lighting the entire room. If the promoter wants promo shots of the club he is going to have to allow it to be staged with actors and lit properly. He could let you shoot live footage on a normal night, but people might not be real happy at the club with it all lit up.
Old June 7th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Gotcha'

I just captured a bunch of shots. Ill post them for everyone to see the results.

Not bad shots when lights are flashing. I think i fi took out some frames that are darkit mught be usable when i export it from premeire and start getting creating with it in after effects.

Thanks for the relistic expectation update.
Old June 7th, 2003, 06:46 PM   #7
Tourist

you might try a lower wattage light to brighten up what is right in front of the camera. i bought a sima 3 watt light for just such a purpose. i have the canon 10 watt– for clubs it would be a flame thrower. the sima comes with rechargable AAA batteries and last about 20 min. per charge.

another option would be to put some sort of gel on the on camera light, so it would blend into the club lighting and not look like a cop spot light! wrap the canon in a couple of layers of red or blue gel and see what it looks like.
Jay Finneburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 11:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I did some editing today

I got some good footage with the light shows. I figure when i use the footage that i can just do effects to the video with overlays in the black zones to give it a cluby feel. Have a look at something I threw together for a client. It is a web version remember, but the NTSC version is excellent.

http://www.soulshockent.com/video.html
Old June 8th, 2003, 10:43 AM   #9
New Boot

Jason,

Did you manually white balance or where you on auto? I just got my GL2 a few days ago, but in the little experimenting I have done, it seems that if you manually white balance, it can dramatically improve your low light shots. At least that seems to be the case for me so far.

Chief
Matthew Flesher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders