dead pixel remedy: DH_Reincarnation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 25th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

dead pixel remedy: DH_Reincarnation

I recently noticed a dead pixel on some low light footage from my gl1.. It's definitely a dead pixel on the camera's ccd. I know the best remedy is to send in the camera to canon for a new ccd, but I can't justify paying almost what I paid for the camera to get the ccd replaced..for just one dead pixel? no way!
After researching some forums, i heard mention of a Final Cut Pro/Express Plug-In called (Digital Heaven) DH_Reincarnation..which claims to patch up dead pixels

"Up to two dead pixel areas can be intelligently replaced with new pixels at a time. The width and height of each area can be independently set and a preview mode ensures only the damaged pixels are affected."

It looks pretty promising (there's a demo on the website), and for $40, it might be a viable alternative to sending into canon (especially for just one dead pixel!

Thought this might be helpful as I know that many GL1/2 users face this dead pixel issue. If anyone has any experience with this software, let me know what results u got

~brendan

Last edited by Brendan Donohue; October 25th, 2007 at 01:22 PM.
Brendan Donohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
I recently noticed a dead pixel on some low light footage from my gl1..
Dead (black) or more likely hot (white)? FWIW: Low light implies high gain, and under these circumstances pixels with high dark currents that would not show up in a normal illuminated scene at 0 dB gain will be visible, especially in scenes with large shadow areas.

Thanks for the note on the plug in.
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks for clarifying Don, I always just default to the word "dead" for any kind of defective pixel..it is, in fact, a "hot" pixel..
Brendan Donohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

i have heard of this plug in for FCP in the past.
anyone know of a similar or comparable substitute for Premiere?
Jason Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM   #5
Major Player

I am looking for the same fix, for Premiere
Old December 31st, 2008, 06:04 AM   #6
Wrangler

I've not hear of any such product for Premiere (but that does not mean there is none).

One possible quick fix is to create gray or black pixel mask to "hide" the hot pixel. While not a great solution, it may be less obvious in the final video.

Wonder if a product like Neat Video could be configured to treat it as a noise reduction thing???
Old December 31st, 2008, 07:29 AM   #7
Inner Circle

virtualdub has many filter and some allows to replace pixels.
i think you can find them under "logo removal", there are several of them.
consider the hot or dead pixel like a one pixel logo
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders