GL1 not saving settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 23rd, 2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GL1 not saving settings

Ok, so I recently picked up a used GL1 for a second camera ... every time I make changes to the settings (such as 16 bit audio, tally lamp off, etc) & power the camera off the next time I power it back on, the changes I made are no longer in effect ... they revert back to their original setting before I had made the change. Is this a setting that I'm missing somewhere in the camera or does my camera have an issue that needs to be taken care of by the Canon service center?

Any & all information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Denny Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 08:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Denny,
You didn't mention if you have removed the battery or not. If you have and the button cell is weak, that could be the reason your camera is not holding the settings.
Is it also losing the date and time when you turn it off??
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Blizzard View Post
Hi Denny,
You didn't mention if you have removed the battery or not. If you have and the button cell is weak, that could be the reason your camera is not holding the settings.
Is it also losing the date and time when you turn it off??
My apologies .. yes, I am removing the battery as I always do when the camera is not in use ... I do the same for my GL-2 which does NOT lose its settings even when removing the battery on it. What is the "button cell" that you mention?

Not sure on the time & date as I have never set it :-)
However I will do so & test to see if that holds or not. I'll also test to see if keeping the battery on makes any difference.

Thanks!
Denny Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Denny if you open out the lcd screen behind it you will see a grey flap flip open the flap and you should see a button cell which ensures that your settings are kept in memory if there is a button cell there it is probably dead if there is no cell you need to get one, the cell type number is CR2025 and about 3/4" diametre. Merry XMAS
Alan

P.S. when you have a good button cell in the camera you can remove the main battery without losing what is stored in the memory.
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:30 AM   #5
Wrangler

There is no "button cell" in the GL1, just an internal rechargeable backup battery (not user serviceable) that recharges when the camcorder has a regular battery or pother power source connected. takes about 24 hours to recharge if it has used up its charge. See page 84 of the GL1 manual.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
There is no "button cell" in the GL1, just an internal rechargeable backup battery (not user serviceable) that recharges when the camcorder has a regular battery or pother power source connected. takes about 24 hours to recharge if it has used up its charge. See page 84 of the GL1 manual.
Thanks for the info ... the problem seems to have disappeared after I did the following:
Turned off demo mode & set the time, date, & time zone ... now I can leave the battery off the camera for hours, put it back on & the settings that wouldn't save before are now saved.
Denny Bryant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders