loss of quality while capturing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 24th, 2003, 09:16 PM   #1
Tourist

loss of quality while capturing

Alright, i am pretty sure i know the answer to this question but i just want to make sure. I shoot all my footage on a GL2 and to save wear on its tape deck, i bought a cheap canon zr10 on ebay. Will using the zr10 to capture myt footage onto my computer have any effect on the quality of my video? thanks.
Blake Galeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 10:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

No, it shouldn't matter.
Old June 24th, 2003, 10:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I use my Canon ZR-45 for this purpose with no problems at all.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 11:06 PM   #4
Trustee

Blake,

You won't lose any quality capturing form a lesser spec camcorder. The difference in low and high spec MiniDV cameras is in the image capturing section, the optics and the CCDs. After the image has been captured it is recorded digitally, which means it is converted to 1s and 0s before it is stored on the tape. All that the playback camera is doing is sending those 1s and 0s down the firewire cable just as they were recorded.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 04:17 AM   #5
Wrangler

If capturing from the analog output, it may have a different quality, if from the IEEE1394 output it should be the same quality, subject of course to the possibility of tape read errors caused by differences in the machines.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders