S-video input with microphone? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 28th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

S-video input with microphone?

I'm trying to do a simple video with my GL-2. I want to capture a laptop screen out of the S-video port and then use a microphone to record my voice as I do work on the computer.

I get the video output just fine: Select Play on the camcorder, have the video out set up on the laptop, and the video records great to tape.

However, I can't seem to get any microphone to work. I've tried it using the Audio Dub with both Audio In and Mic In. Neither works. I've tried auto vs. manual recording level. Nada. I've tried using the internal microphone, a microphone with a 1/8" mini plug into the mic jack, and also an xlr mic using the MA-300 adapter. Nothing gives me an audio signal.

Any ideas?
Paul Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #2
Old Boot

Any ideas?

Yeah, make it simpler.

Capture back the TAPE and do a V/O on the timeline of an NLE.

This ways you got loadsa control. You can do loadsa takes and pick out what you want. You do have an NLE on your PC? Or you could play back on your PC and do the V/O .. many takes if youi want . .and capture-back THAT to the timeline too.

I think when you audio dub to the XM2 you would have needed to have select 8-bit or 12-bit. Then ONE of the stereo channels gets used as the DUB? You can tell I haven't tried this, but I bet others will put me right here!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I agree that would be easier. Another reason I would like to try to record audio is that I also do some videography of live presentations with power point. I have done extensive editing of splicing in the speaker/video with the slides. But if I could easily tape the power point presentation with audio, so I could get a quick easy sync with the presenter's video, that would make the editing very fast. I could just drop in both timelines into Premiere and do live switching back and forth. This would also make it look better when the presenter has video playing on the laptop with his PP preentation.
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Firth View Post
However, I can't seem to get any microphone to work.
Mic inputs are not available in VCR mode.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #5
Regular Crew

GRRRRR!!!

oh well, thanks anyways guys.
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #6
Wrangler

An approach: When in VCR mode, run your mic through a modest priced mic preamp or mixer and connect the line output of the preamp/mixer to the analog audio input of the GL2. See the diagram on page 101 of the NTSC manual, the RCA audio connectors of the STV-250N cable would connect to the mixer/preamp line level output. Note that some wireless mics have line level output capability.

The Radio Shack 32-2056 for $30 might work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders