Quick Mic Qustion MA-300 or DM-50??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 11th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #1
New Boot

Quick Mic Qustion MA-300 or DM-50???

I am looking for some sort of mic for my GL2 and I thought I should just ask you guys because you always know what to do!!

I Just recently got my camera and with it I got the Canon MA-300 XLR adapter. My question is should I get just a new shotgun mic to plug into the MA-300 or should I go with a mic like the Canon DM-50 directional stereo microphone that sits where the MA-300 goes? If you think a shotgun for the MA-300 then which one would you perfer?? I am pretty new when it comes to sound for the camera, any help would be great!!

Thanks ahead,

Justin
Justin Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Which mic to get, that depends of what you will use it for, and your budget.
A few shotgun mics people seem to like are the Sennheiser ME66 and the AT-897.
The DM-50 shotgun is a "low end" microphone, and if I remember correct, there has been a few threads here about it's quality.
Check out this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ighlight=DM-50

Personally I use a Rode Videomic and it performs very well for it price tag.

-----
Maybe one of the wranglers should move this thread to the "All Things Audio", where you most likely would get more/better answers to your audio/mic questions.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #3
New Boot

Well the budget isnt to important (with it being tax season ;-) I do like the Sennheiser ME66 but it looks a little long to be sitting on top of the camera. I do Have a wide angle lens, would it get in the shot or no?? the Rode Videomic looks nice, but if i got this then would i not need the Canon MA-300 XLR adapter??

Thanks for the help so far,

Justin

PS
Is this a better "All Things Audio" question? I figured with the Canon GL2 adapter and the spec's of the camera it would be more fitting here.
Justin Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Lang View Post
the Rode Videomic looks nice, but if i got this then would i not need the Canon MA-300 XLR adapter??
True, the videomic connects to the mic input on the GL2, and you do not need the MA-300 for this mic.

Never tried the ME66 myself, but when mounted on a shock mount on top of the GL2, I believe it will be lifted high enough above the camera so it is not in your shots.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #5
New Boot

I believe your right it shouldn't be in the shot from what i have read.

Also I think i am going to go with the Rode NTG-2. I have read up on it and it looks ( or sounds ) like a solid mic. Great price and reviews. Rode is a great brand.

Thanks for your help! :-)
Justin Lang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders