Soft Case for GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 12th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Trustee

Soft Case for GL2

I am flying to Europe some time this year and hope to film some footage for use in later productions. I would like to carry my GL2, a little wireless vhf receiver, attached to a MultiRigPro and stuff all that in a case that I can carry on the airplane (no way am I letting that leave my sight). It must be the kind of case I can walk a lot with (so not likely to use a duffel type bag, though a good shoulder strap might be workable). Hip / fanny packs (no matter how huge) are good options as are backpacks/sling packs/chest packs.

I have searched the forums, but unfortunately, most posts related to soft cases for the GL2 are from 2004/2005 and the model's of cases / bags are not available any more. Lots of references for Kata 401 (discontinued). I'd love if I can get any feedback about the following:
Anyone have any experience with any of these bags, or experience with a different bag and your GL2 + accessories?

Last edited by Jason Robinson; March 12th, 2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: punctuation correction
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Backpack

Hi Jason

Never used any of the bags you mention, but a couple of years ago I bought the Lowepro Photo Trekker Classic, which took the the XM2 and accessories. It was allowed as a carry-on on European airlines and easily fitted into the overhead locker. Look at their website to see if it is still available.
David Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Trustee

Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dalton View Post
Hi Jason

Never used any of the bags you mention, but a couple of years ago I bought the Lowepro Photo Trekker Classic, which took the the XM2 and accessories. It was allowed as a carry-on on European airlines and easily fitted into the overhead locker. Look at their website to see if it is still available.
Thanks for the feedback. I was starting to wonder if anyone bothered with GL2s any more or if they never used soft cases! Te photo trekker seems a bit big (also a little spendy for my taste), but it seems that nothing is cheap regarding camera cases. I did find the Compact AW DV seems made for the GL1/2 (it is pictured with one beside it) and it is a belt /hip pack with a shoulder strap, almost the perfect combination. But alas, also quite spendy. I may have few options when it comes to GL2 hip cases.

Thanks for the pointer towards Lowepro.

Anyone else have names I didn't mention here?
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #4
Trustee

bumping up

bumping up. Anyone else have any input at all on available GL2 cases? Like I mentioned before, all the results when searching through the forums refer to posts from 2005 or earlier so none of those items are available any more.
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #5
Major Player

The Portabrace CS-DV3U is excellent for the XM2(GL2), but more than a little expensive in the UK - the price is worked out at an exchange rate of $1 = £1, as it is for most US goods).

The camera fits neatly into the adjustable cradle, there is a removable internal bag for tapes, extra batteries, etc., as well as room for a microphone and add on lenses.

You cannot fairly compare it with brands such as Lowe Pro (I own several of their cases too), as the quality of the Portabrace is in a totally different league!

It is just the right size for our restrictive regulations for aircraft cabin luggage here in the UK.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #6
Wrangler

Are you taking a wireless mic? If so, check for possible special rules on use of wireless mics in the country to which you are going.

I've use Tamrac brand bags with a GL1 and XL1. Currently using a Kata with an XH-A1

Some folks use a diaper bag - less attractive to thieves (who wants a bag of dirty diapers). A Portabrace bag yells "steal me, I'm full of something worth a lot of money."
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Craven View Post
You cannot fairly compare it with brands such as Lowe Pro (I own several of their cases too), as the quality of the Portabrace is in a totally different league!
I assume you mean the Lowepro cases are much fancier (just judging by a quick run through of their product catalog).
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #8
Trustee

Ahhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
Are you taking a wireless mic? If so, check for possible special rules on use of wireless mics in the country to which you are going.
Well that isn't something I'd even considered till now. Thanks for bringing that up. Any idea where I could find information about VHF based device restrictions for France, Italy, & London?

Quote:
I've use Tamrac brand bags with a GL1 and XL1. Currently using a Kata with an XH-A1
Any specific comments? Durable? Well designed?

Quote:
Some folks use a diaper bag - less attractive to thieves (who wants a bag of dirty diapers). A Portabrace bag yells "steal me, I'm full of something worth a lot of money."
That is a very smart suggestion. I am very paranoid about traveling abroad (what with the foreign laws, uncertainty of legal system protections, etc). I'm also a bit concerned about travel abroad with business assets (working on insurance coverage this week). A more low key bag is probably a better idea.

I guess I'll go to target and check out some diaper bags and see what is available. I really want a hip pack due to the amount of walking expected, but I might find some hunting / outdoor hip packs that could work just as well.
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #9
Wrangler

Check http://www.tamrac.com/ for info on Tamrac bags. They offer a wide range or backpacks, not sure which would be best for a GL2. In any case they would probably be more rugged than a diaper bag (g).

I have mixed emotions about the Kata bag, liked the Tamrac for the XL1, was just OK with the other I use with the GL1. But none were back pack type. All appear to be reasonably durable for general event videographer type use, but probably not quite up the the standard needed for a commercial 24/7/365 broadcast station use.

As to wireless mics overseas, maybe check with some of the dvinfo.net members from the countries of interest that visit the various forums here. The questions of most likely concern include power, frequencies, modulation type, licensing, and whether or not foreigners are allowed to operate wireless mic transmitters in the country.
Old March 18th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I found my solution at Target:

Standard large-ish backpack. Line with a couple of 1'x1.7' pieces of soft 5/8" foam.

When I'm not carrying it, I stash the backpack in a standard hardshell pilot suitcase with extending handle and rolling wheels.

Both together cost me about $70.

Nice thing is that it doesn't scream EXPENSIVE CAMERA IN HERE FOR YOU TO STEAL.
(My philosophy is that if you make it look like shirts and underwear, no one's gonna steal it.)

Cheers.
Tim OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
(My philosophy is that if you make it look like shirts and underwear, no one's gonna steal it.)
Just don't put a Britney Spears (or other babe) name tag on it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders