Looking for mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 14th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Looking for mic

I've been looking for a decent mic for my XM2 for a long time now, my budget is around 100 €, I was planning on buying a RODE videomic (mono).

Until I saw this http://www.fotokonijnenberg.be/produ..._product=33349
its a JVC MZ-V8 stereo mic, for less than 100 euro (on other sites its at least 150)

But I wonder, will this work on my Canon XM2, and doesn't it need any batteries for power, like all the other mics without XLR's?

thanks!,

Jurgen
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #2
Wrangler

My first impression is that the mic will not be compatible with the XM1. It appears to need a DC bias on the audio cable to power it, and I do not believe that the GL/XM camcorders provide this. The mic apparently was designed for some JVC models.

Further, the Rode appears to have significantly better specifications.

Rode also has the Stereo Video Mic, which also has better specification, as do the AT-822 and the Sony ECM-MS957.
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, I ordered the normal videomic after reading some more reviews.
:)
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

well im not totally happy with it, I get alot of noise when I connect it to my xm2
(switch on 0 db) = lower=more noise
switch on camera to "MIC ATT or so"
but still no great results..
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

With the GL2 (XM2) you HAVE to use the manual audio channel to bring the volume down with the Rode. For what i remember,...i used to keep both channel at 5-6 max.

Philippe
Philippe Messier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Geevels View Post
well im not totally happy with it, I get alot of noise when I connect it to my xm2
(switch on 0 db) = lower=more noise
switch on camera to "MIC ATT or so"
but still no great results..

Is the noise you're talking about electrical noise such as hiss or are you talking about handling and camera noises? If it's electrical noise, the lower the output of the mic the more you have to increase the gain to get acceptable levels on tape and the noise gets boosted along with the desired signal. The switch positions on the Videomic are 0dB (no output attenuation), -10 dB (some attenuation), and -20 dB (still more output attenuation). The camera MIC ATT switch adds even more attenuation. I'd suggest starting with the mic switch pair set to 0dB and the camera MIC ATT switch off. If the mic is overloading the camera first reduce the level with the mic's switches, then the add the camera MIC ATT if the Rode's -20dB position is still too hot.

Handling and camera noise is another story - nothing you do with the mic's switches or recording gain will have any effect on that. The only solution is to get the mic off the camera and up close to the talent where it belongs.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I don't like the videomic for the fact that the rubber rings, which hold the mic on the shock mount, make scratching noises when they are 'moving around'. Thus it is worthless for anything that is close to mobile recording... because the noise is easily picked up by the mic.
Chris van der Zaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks for the replies so far,
I tried the - db switches but they seem to have no effect, the Att mic adds less noise, so thats okay I guess.

But I think I got the best result with the manual control of the mic instead of automatic, I get significant less noise, but still not very great.

the sound is like the sound of static, but sometimes it goes away while on other moments it comes jumping in like an EMP went off. and it is indeed more when I move the camera or the mic.

tomorrow its the grand day, Hope the little fella won't let me down..
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #9
Wrangler

First avoid using audio AGC (or ALC - automatic level control). That will tend to cause the background noise/hiss to increase during quiet points in the program material. Manual is better for noise floor management.

Second, if the mic output is adequate to provide full record levels, it is usually better to use the MIC ATT setting on the camcorder. This reduces camcorder mic preamp noise. However, if you have a very noisy mic this may not make much difference.

Lastly, do not expect $1,000 performance from a $150 mic.
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #10
Regular Crew

bah, I found it rather useless today
I just used my onboard mic, gave me better results
disapointing purchase, or something wrong with it, I think

well might look it to it an other day, to see whats up with it
Old September 18th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #11
Regular Crew

sorry to bring and old thread back to life, but i stumbled across this while searching for posts on the 'at-822' and thought there was some good info here. I just purchased a Canon Xh-a1 (which arrived 2 days ago) and just bought a used AT-822 which should be arriving in a couple of days. I went with the at-822 to have the freedom to use my mic with both my camcorder and my Sony Minidisc Hi-md MZ-RH1. for when i use the at-822 with my camera (once i either find that adapter i need or go with some other mount solution), does a lot of this advice on this thread apply to what I have? I've never worked with an external mic on a camera before so this is pretty new to me.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders