Capturing with other cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 25th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #1
New Boot

Capturing with other cameras

I have heard that the VCR in the GL2 is delicate and can wear out after much use. I was wondering if capturing the video onto the computer will have any effect on the video quality. The camera that I would use is a little $500 sony camera that I bought a couple of years ago. Thanks
Travis Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I've been using a GL2 as a deck for about 5 years now with no real issues. For what it's worth.
Old April 26th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #3
Major Player

I bought a JVC GR-D347U (for about $200 new) to use for capture. It works very well. I have had just a very few issues with dropped frames, but now as I think of it, not in quite some time.

Not only does this keep the wear down on my GL-2s, I can leave it permanently attached to my computer. This configuration works very well for me.
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #4
Wrangler

Many users to use a cheap camcorder as a playback/capture unit to save wear on the main camcorder, and the cheap unit can weork as a backup or works as a B-camera in a pinch.

For most hobby types this is not necessary, but the spare camcorder is essential for people shooting events and other serious work.
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I use a zr 800 as a deck.

I also use it to strip a used tape before reusing them before shooting with them. Doing this I have not had a problem with a reused tape.
Must add I always use a new tape on any paying job!!

Wear is wear, i do not use my shooters for the computer work.
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #6
New Boot

But does capturing with the lower quality camera have an effect on the video quality?
Travis Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #7
Major Player

Travis,
In a word - no. The capturing is merely a transfer of digital 1's and 0's. What your camera records to tape is where the quality of the GL2 in important. Once it is on tape, it is there.
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
But does capturing with the lower quality camera have an effect on the video quality?
Not if you do a firewire capture. It might if you try to capture from an analog playback stream, which is not likely for most users.

The only other possible issue is if the playback camcorder is having difficulty reading the tape, and that is not a common issue for tapes recorded at SP speed and if the heads are clean. But this would not be a reduced video quality issue so much as a no video or breaks in video issue.
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:14 PM   #9
New Boot

I use a Sony DCR-HC20 and a Canon ZR-60 to rewind and capture to PC. Works perfect each time. I never use the GL-2 for anything other than record. I got the Sony for $80 used on ebay.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders