stupid question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 31st, 2003, 01:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

stupid question

Hi, here i I have a stupid question for you experts...
I read Barry's review of the GL2/xm2 and i've seen the settings he uses (end of part three). Since the settings he talks about are about signal processing (gain, sharpness, setup) would it be the same to do the all thing later when editing?
I used a xm1 a few years ago on a trip to India and now I'm going for a trip to Iran and Afghanistan: i could get that (xm1) camera borrowed for nothing or i could spend 3000 euros to buy a new xm2 that i never used: what to do? Is the xm2 SO MUCH better than the xm1?
In case i should decide to save money and to go with the xm1 do you have any suggestion (settings, frame mode etc) for outdoor shooting? I would be desperate if my footage turns out to be bad BECAUSE of how i preset it!
I'm leaving in a few days, please give me an answer, thanx a milion!!!
Pietro Jona from Italy (not for long)
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 02:10 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Quote:
Since the settings he talks about are about signal processing (gain, sharpness, setup) would it be the same to do the all thing later when editing?
No.

Quote:
Is the xm2 SO MUCH better than the xm1?
Yes. (Don't forget to visit the Caspian.)

Settings? Point and shoot, or white balance, then shoot. Keep in mind that the XM2's audio is a lot better, plus you get at least 40 more horizontal playback lines (with resolution).

PS: the XM2 is easy to use, but so is the XM1!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2003, 07:42 AM   #3
lkalisky

travel to India

Sorry not to respond directly to your question, but I was wondering about your experiences traveling to India with your XM1. I'm going next month, and specifically have questions about how you managed to recharge your batteries (what adapters did you use, etc.) and were there any other things that I should keep in mond?
Old August 6th, 2003, 09:28 AM   #4
Trustee

Pietro,

I don't know about the guide you're talking about, but you can do almost anything in post that you can do with the in-camera settings. I said almost. :)

What you really want is to get the most neutral picture possible with the best color saturation when you shoot. That's why I always turn color gain all the way up. Brightness and contrast you want pretty neutral so that you can change it later. If you have too much contrast in the recorded image, you lose a lot of subleties of color and there's not too much you ccan do in post. Same with sharpness - if you make the picture too sharp, you'll get way too much noise and it will be very difficult to change.

Use the settings to a point, only enough to get a neutral picture. Then do what you want in editing. Just make sure your exposure is good (should always be right in the middle or a little below the middle of the meter), sharpness should be in the middle or maybe a peg up. Color gain all the way up. I definitely wouldn't mess with the Green->Red shift though, because that is better done in post.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2003, 06:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

stupid questıon

hi, currently in Turkey heading to Iran.
Indıa was no problem for my xm1 and I hope central Asıa wıll be no problem form xm2... Battery charging was wıth normal charger and wıth a solar panel when trekkıng ın Zanskar.
So, should I shoot on manual, some colour gain, sharpness one notch down? Should I trust the lcd monıtor for exposure? I always feel I would lıke to have ıt a lıttle darker... Problem ıs that I wıll not be able to see the footage before two months from now, when the whole trıp ıs fınıshed...
Old August 7th, 2003, 06:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

one more

sorry agaın...
when shootıng ın manual, settıng the exposure, should ı always try to have the gaın as low as possıble (dependıng on ırıs and shutter)? Thanks
Old August 7th, 2003, 06:29 AM   #7
lkalisky

solar panel?

Pietro, I'll be trekking in Zanskar also...

What solar panel do you have for recharging? How did it work?
Old August 7th, 2003, 06:57 AM   #8
Regular Crew

ıt was a flexıble solar panel...
ı cannot remember the brand now because ı'm not home, ı'm sorry. ıt worked fıne even ıf ıt was mınus twenty sometımes (don't worry, ıt was wınter...). hıgh altıtude, the sun ıs hıperstrong! enjoy Zanskar, great place to be!
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders