need a better mic for the gl2 (inexpensive) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 12:20 AM   #16
Regular Crew

First understand that we are equally amatuers, so I am giving you info on a limited scope, although I have spent a lot of time researching information. A brand new Senn ME66 is around $345-365 from reputable dealers. The AT897 is $279 brand new. Many people I have talked to say the Senn is the best mic in this price category. A bunch of other folks feel the AT897 is very comparable, with little if any audible difference. The Senn is (I belive) 2 inches longer then the AT (just FYI). So in my opinion the less expensive AT was the better choice for me. I have no doubt that both are good mics, and for what we are doing any difference in quality between them is irrelevant or unoticeable. With that in mind you have to consider the condition of the Senn on Ebay. A lot of vets will tell you to take advantage of the good buys that can be found in used gear. If you are a bit anal like me, I tend to avoid used gear from strangers. I would buy the (still) cheaper AT897 in the original wrapper, rather than a used mic almost every time. As for the XLR adapter, yes you will get better signal with a pro-converter rather than a simple combo-cord. How much difference, and if it is worth the money or noticeable in your application, I don't know for sure.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 09:17 AM   #17
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Wright : Just noticed this me66 deal on eBay... let me know what you think:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3807476944&category=3315#ebayphotohosting

they are selling it brand new for $285, and B&H sells it for $400. This is supposedly an excellent mic, and although this is still a very high price, I could make it work if it is a good deal... -->>>

Chris...that Ebay deal is in the UK and is 285 POUNDS...or $521...not $285. So still cheaper here in the U.S. at B&H or Zotz.
Chris Platt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders